antinat mac equivalent, port forwarding

Reaction score
i have a macbook unibody intel (not pro) on a network at home;
i would rather just leave the mac book here with an external HD and use a small netbook to carry around;
my home network is a router/switch that is ethernetted to a desktop (it is not sharing internet connection) and the wireless supplies 2 laptops (one macbook) in the house;
i was going to use foxyproxy since i use firefox on every machine, i thought it would be easier, but according to foxyproxy documentation, i need antinat to set this up;

anyone want to point me in the direction of where to get started...

i have tor on the macbook, havent used it in a while, but it functioned well in the past with vidalia;
could i set this up to provide a hop or two for the netbook when on a different network?
basically using tor as a proxy provider through my router and macbook?
edit: btw, home network is using dhcp nat, ip from isp has stayed the same for a long time, but i think it might change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
ok, so if I understand this right:

1) there is a router on your network
2) The router is connected to a switch
3) You have a desktop connected to the switch
4) you have wifi - is it thru an AP or does the router also have wifi?
5) You want to be able to use the netbook on your home network to access the internet

Part I am not sure I follow - are you thinking of using your netbook on other networks to then connect to a proxy at your house to surf the internet?

OP
B
Reaction score
._.

the home network is a modem connected to a combination router/switch/wap;
the switch connects to a desktop w/ethernet (shouldnt matter because it doesnt share internet connection);
my macbook unibody 5,1 intel w/nvidia gpu connects to this home network w/wireless;
netbook also connects to home network fine;
but i want to leave the macbook at home and be able to access files on it with the netbook from wherever;
i can set up the netbook, but i have read to use a program called antinat to setup access(port forwarding)
antinat only works on linux and windoze
could i set up a vpn or port forwarding on the macbook 10.5.x (updated)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, ok. from what it sounds, the desktop wouldn't share the internet as the router acts as your main gateway and provides internet access.

I'd look into a couple of things:
1) If your router offers VPN access - some do - it would allow you easy access to your local network
2) you can port forward the ports to a computer within your network that can do the vpn functionality
3) antinat is available for osx,but it seems that it was last designed for 10.0 - there may be a more current version, you can check using Macports to see if you can get something.

I know you can setup outbound vpn on a mac, but I've never tried inbound. I'm sure it can be done, but honestly, I don't know how. a vpn would be easiest for what you want to do for file access.

OP
B
Reaction score
that got me started

i didnt even think about going to the router through a browser;
it needed a firmware update, so i started the download;
walked away for a minute and when i came back the screen was still the router page but it said "unable to connect to page"
i power cycled the router and the connection is working fine but i cant navigate to the browser page;
just the screen as if i didnt have an internet connection at all;
???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, for that I'd say check the manufacturers web page for the router to see what to do in your case - it almost sounds like the firmware upgrade didn't complete or the firmware was corrupted. Did the unit reboot?

OP
B
Reaction score
i got it

i was administering the router from laptop on wifi;
apparently the firmware upgrade reset the "allow remote configuration"
had to go plug in;
appreesh tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LoL!

Btw, I came across another software package that might be of interest to you - it's really cheap and does VPN...

MacServe | iVPN

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.