Another Convert Hits

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 24"
I just had to stop in and say hello. Been lurking for the past few months and trying to save my pennies to convert from the PC world and of course wait for the next great release aka Leopard.

So much for waiting. My motherboard fried this morning and wont recognize any of the ram... switching ram around did nothing. I took it as a sign to head over to Best Buy (my nearest Apple Dealer) and purchase a Mac.... on credit.. ughhh.

So I bought me a gorgeous 24" imac and have the entire family drooling all over it (wipes keyboard off again). So now as I finish typing this I see all my updates are done and the system wants a reboot. I just HAD to stop in my latest favorite site and say hello. I'm sure you can understand my excitement :)

Oh yeah... The thing connected to my network all by it's lonesome. No configuring, no hassles, it just worked. Most beautiful machine I've ever worked/played on. Now I have SO much to unlearn/learn.

You'll be seeing more of me!

(No Longer Miserable)
Coot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
welcome Coot! haha that is awesome. 24" is gorgeous! We'll all be here to help you learn and unlearn :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Welcome to the fold, 'coot.
Great crowd here at m-f always willing to help someone transition from the Dark Side. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

Welcome to the forums coot. I too took the plunge and bought my first Mac(20" iMac) without even trying one and It's been the best thing I've done computing wise for a very long time. I found the getting used to the OS X operating system was a synch and none more so difficult than using that "other" OS ;-)

Have fun with your new Mac!!

Michael.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Howdy Coot, If ya been hangin round here already, pretty sure you're gonna like it. 'Tis pretty spiffy lookin, huh?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 24"
Thanks for the welcome. I had to quickly unlearn the habit of using all the screen real estate to examine documents and play WoW. Sadly I had to revert back to my old mouse for playing, I kept mashing the side buttons and having the widgits popup. I took my old logitech, plugged it in alongside the mighty mouse, and it works flawlessly.

Installed Stuffit and I tried to overcomplicate things. I actually deleted the thing once or twice because I couldn't believe it was really installed.

Gotta tell ya I'm definently feeling a bit out of my element here. Things are different, things are simpler to do and without having my pc to fall back on... I just plunge ahead relentlessly.

Time to go hunt for interesting freeware.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Installed Stuffit and I tried to overcomplicate things. I actually deleted the thing once or twice because I couldn't believe it was really installed.

LOL - at least I'm not the only one to do that

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Miserable Coot!

Excellent choice, the iMac 24" is mind-blowing! If you want help to get you started on the right foot, you might want to read eric's awesome thread, Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information. The thread gives pointers and info for all new Mac users.

And of course, you can always come back and start threads to ask questions if you haven't found anything that helps with the Mac-Forums search.

M

MacHeadCase

No problem! Glad you found it useful. :girl:

Eric did indeed do a wonderful job of collecting all that info!

Reaction score
That FAQ was one of the first things I read here and it's incredibly useful. Congrats on the new iMac. That's a beauty.

I was very nearly in your same boat (waiting, but then forced to buy when hardware failed), but I was able to solve my problem so that I can continue waiting. It's not easy though. Enjoy your machine. This is a good place to have your questions answered.

Reaction score
Congrats On the iMac! That is one beautiful machine. I have always been a PC user until a year ago when I bought a Mac Mini just for the heck of it, I wanted to try something different, Windows was just generally pissing me off and Linux is just a little rough around the edges. I did not know what I had been missing! I am a system admin by trade in an all Windows shop. The first time I fired up my little Mac it was like a breath of fresh air......soothing......simple.......and elegant. I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new 17" Macbook Pro Laptop........excuse me I think I need a moment to myself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Coot, you can turn the side buttons off in the mouse system preferences.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 24"
Yeah I know. Found that when I found how to make the mouse act like a standard 2 button mouse. I love the features when doing general work and running various apps. Just when I play WoW I have a habit of clenching the little sucker in excitement :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.