Another Air or Retina decision - durability and speed?

Reaction score
Hey guys, would really appreciate your advice on an emergency mac replacement issue. I realise there are other posts comparing these computers, but I've been through a few and think my needs might be slightly different. Skip to the questions in bold if you need to!

Had a 2-year-old 2012 13" pro whose logicboard has recently totally died, for reasons neither the Apple store nor a third party repair shop can work out. Part replacement doesn't seem worth the cost when I can get a new macbook for about 300 bucks extra. Here are my choices for replacement via the US refurb store. Prices in euros, which are not a great deal above the dollar right now so US guys can hopefully surmise the equivalent costs:

choice 0
spend €400 getting a new logicboard for a 2-yr-old computer, even though no one seems to know what's wrong with it, so could even incur more replacement costs and if it's liquid damage then other parts might be affected later

choice 1
€770 11.6 inch 1.4GHz i5 Macbook Air with 4GB RAM and 256GB solid state drive.

choice 2
€845 as above but 2015 model, 1.6GHz with slightly better graphics, Thunderbolt 2 and supposedly a faster hard disk.

choice 3
€925 above model but 13.3 inch

choice 4
€1150 13.3 inch 2.7GHz i5 Retina Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB solid state drive. So two to four hundred euro more for hopefully a more robust machine with a lot more processing power.

I've ruled out the new Macbook model on account of its connectability and lower processing power, just seems overpriced. And also any models with under 256GB hard drives, as 128 is just not enough for me. My priorities, so what I'd like to know from current owners of either model are:

#1 durability and reliability. Somehow I've managed to get through two macbooks in a few years. First was liquid damage, this one is anyone's guess. I do carry my computers around a lot, at the moment for teaching and later on for studying. The next macbook I will be spending more money on cases and keyboard protectors, and probably insurance! But I'd like to know how durable the Macbook Airs are compared to the new Pros, as they have always seemed very flimsy to me. The solid state drives are obviously nice and tough but it seems to be the logicboards that go first..

#2 comfort. I'm slightly hesitant to go for the smaller Air for reasons of comfort typing - does the 13 inch Air or the Retina seem much different typing over long periods of work?

#3 speed/performance. Although every now and then I do sometimes use Photoshop and InDesign, this is unlikely to be a computer for regular rigorous editing. It would be good to know that when I need to I can use these programs with a reasonable expectation that the computer won't crash or slow to the point of unusability. But the main thing is that browsing and basic software goes quickly and reliably.

Underlying this is the unfortunate fact that all of these computers are due an update soon, but I can't really sit around waiting for it, so will have to go with the older range at their current price.

Thanks so much in advance for any of your advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a 13" macbook air and a 15" macbook pro. I love both for different reasons. For what you are indicating you want I recommend the 13" Macbook Air. It has great battery life and is light weight. As far as sturdy, I haul mine around in a sleeve and I do have a clear protective case on it. I have tried the keyboard covers and they are not too bad but they bug me so I don't use them but they can offer protection from spills. The MB Air is definitely sturdier than a lot of the thin Windows laptops currently on the market.

I would not recommend the 11" screen if you plan to do any Photoshop or InDesign work that is not enough screen space - IMO. I do use my 13" for some Photoshop work with no problems. My specs on my 2013 MB Air is i5, 4GB, 256 SSD - not a big powerhouse but it handles Photoshop easily.

As for a Macbook Pro - there is more weight and less battery time but it gives the impression of being sturdier. It is more of a work horse but it is up to you to decide what you want.

BTW: A case cover and keyboard cover is a cheap investment. ;)

Lisa

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks so much Lisa! The absolutely ideal reply. I'm lucky enough to be able to borrow my dad's old MB Air 11" for a few months, so I'll get to test drive that for size and speed before thinking about buying (hopefully from Apple's new range) in the summer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.