Annoying clicking sound...

D

dotmac

Whenever I run my ibook off of battery power it constantly makes this really annoying clicking sound. It doesn't make this noise when it's plugged in.... Anybody have/had/heard of this problem?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is an interesting problem. Here is my guess. Since you you have the problem only when running on battery. I am assuming it has to due with the configuration when running on battery. I am not in front of my powerbook at this time, so I can't look at by settings.

OP
G

greylnx

My powerbook does the same thing. It seems like the sound takes longer to initialize when on battery power. I've found that it actually hangs the system for the fraction of a second it takes a sound to play. Strange.. :slant:

OP
G

greylnx

After a little more research, I found out why the laptop is exhibiting this behavior when on battery power. For some odd reason, OSX >=10.1.2 shuts off the sound hardware on the laptop when it has been inactive for ~30 seconds. The current workaround is to plug in a set of USB speakers when on battery power.

Here is a link to the official Apple documentation.

~g

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.