analog to dv with a canopus to an iMac

Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to convert analog HI8 film from a camera to dv with a canopus ADVC110 to an iMac thru a s lead cable .

the film moves in the camera, analog in is switched on, iMovie says its recording and the timer counts but usually the screen just stays black. on one occasion it had green vertical lines on it.

Any ideas please ? !

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here is the manual. Review the connection and dip switch settings to make sure they are right for your situation. Also make sure that there is nothing else connected on the digital side of things except the computer. If I read that manual correctly only one of the digital output ports can be active when it is connected to a computer.

Pay particular attention to the NTSC/PAL issue. This setting may need to be changed depending upon what it was set to when the recordings were made.

OP
H
Reaction score
Whopeeee!!!!

even though i've turned it over and scoured it umpteen times i'd never seen them or even come across these minuscule dip switches before.

i thought i'd read the manual thoroughly - so that just goes to show.

it was set for ntsc. has 6 of these switches on the back for various things !

thanks for your help.
I'm eternally grateful.
:Blushing:
Hilary

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was a complete shot in the dark since I've never used one. That NTSC/PAL setting is especially important. If I remember correctly the timing in is a bit different between the two standards. Let us know how everything comes out.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yikes ! I'd wrongly assumed all was ok when I saw the image moving on the screen yesterday. now I check the import I find there's no audio.
Spent the best part of today trying various settings of the dip switches with no luck yet .
Any thoughts please ?!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll do some poking around and see what I can find out /figure out. A couple of questions which might be relevant:

1. I assume audio is present when you play the tape either in the camera or on a VCR?
2. What make / model camera is involved? Perhaps there is something in the connections / settings that need to be adjusted.

Hope you hadn't erased the tape when you discovered the problem. I've made that mistake before.

OP
H
Reaction score
The audio's present when I check with headphones but no sound from camera on playback. not sure if there should be ? So many years since I've used it that I can't remember for sure.

it's a canon UC9HI 8mm video camcorder.

there's no speaker on the camera , that i can see of in the nomenculture.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has me a bit puzzled. I looked at the camera manual but there wasn't anything obviously helpful so far. I suspect it is something simple in a switch or setting. I'll keep digging as time permits. I've done this kind of capture before using a TiVo and directly from firewire but never from that device so it may take a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I thought an S lead cable is only video, you would also need the red and white audio cable to get the audio out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.