• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nick, I admire the way you are handling this ordeal. I don't know how I would hold up, but I know that the support of family and friends would be crucial. Along with all the others here, wishing you the best as you manage this on your own terms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Hi Nick--so glad you posted. I asked about you a few months ago but couldn't remember your name.
I hope all goes well.

To the lady whose husband has prostate cancer--my husband had radiation in 2018 and just learned it is now in a lymph node so he is about to have another 40 rounds of radiation to it. His first radiation was to the prostate glad. It wasn't too bad on him but he's 5 years older now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nick, I, too, will be praying for you. I think we all need to take charge of our own health and treatments. It is, after all, OUR body and OUR life, not the doctor's.

Hang in there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nick, I admire the way you are handling this ordeal. I don't know how I would hold up, but I know that the support of family and friends would be crucial. Along with all the others here, wishing you the best as you manage this on your own terms.

+1. And may I repeat my concern and condolences here as well and I include this image that reminds me of your and others' courage and determination in dealing with similar problems and just don't give up:

291239445_10160313918629319_4283502010639618164_n.jpg

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
And it looks like you live in a very interesting and pretty place:

It certainly is a very Diversified Country you live in... I've never been there even though a lot of my relatives still live there and my father was born in the southern part of England but came to Canada at the early start phase of his working life.

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======
Yes Patrick,

It is a lovely place to live with 8 lakes to visit, the largest being Windermere about 12 miles long, I had several boats on the lake in my younger days. Then we have Coniston, where Donald Campbell broke the water speed limit, but was sadly killed shortly after. However, there is a lot of unemployment in the area and drugs are rife in most towns, especially Barrow in Furness, part of which the Police refer to as the Gaza Strip, due to fights outside night clubs. Both my wife and I were born in Workington, but have worked in the South in Slough-horrible place. We now actually live on the South Cumbria/North Lancashire border. M wife and I had a great life living in the lakes, and celebrate 53 years of marriage next year. I worked as a Telecomms Engineer and did a 3 year contract in Cape Town, South Africa, it was wonderful, the weather was fairly hot but plenty of cool breezes from the sea. In my mid 30's I began to study law, and graduated with a BSc in Social Welfare Law, reading an MA in consumer protection. Still active at 82 years old. My Macs keep me going.

Thanks for giving Cumbria a mention.

Best regards,

Jim

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Still active at 82 years old. My Macs keep me going.

I'm the same age but have been retired for some 20 plus years and enjoy using my Mac, but surely you are not still currently practicing law at your age are you???

I would suggest it's time to take a break and enjoy your free time if you are...

- Patrick
=======

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Nick,

I've been a member for about 2 years but like you I rarely post. I have blood cancer, the medical name non Hodgkins Lymphoma, to white blood cells. My prognosis is good, in fact my next appoint with a Haematologist is not until December 2023, and that's by video link. I can only send you my best wishes
and say in recent years new treatments have appeared, according to my wife, recently retired nurse for 40 years, with 20 in oncology.

Been a Mac user since 1992, but since I installed Venture, I don't understand the OS, is there anyway I can downgrade to previous OS. Running Venture 13.3 is like an alien OS. I am seriously thinking o buying a good Windows PC. As Mac only account for 8% of laptop sales in the Uk, with 80% opting for Windows.

I know I can use a spare SSD and download New Monteray and boot from that then use Carbon Copy Cloner

Good luck & God bless
and my very best wishes to you :)
I've sadly never visited the lake district - a cardinal sin as a landscape photographer!! maybe I'll get there one day?
yes there are always new treatments - on my first time around with this cancer I (eventually) benefitted from a drug trial. It's good that you have a nice gap until your next consultation. I've been on 3-month check ups since my stem-cell transplant, and I find you can never relax. it's like a never-ending cycle of blood test… wait… results… blood test, etc.

and don't go down the windows route. you'll only regret it! I've not used windows since finishing work in 2014. I had to use it as all our council systems ran on it.

I find persevering with an OS the best way to go, and there's a new one due in 3 months anyway :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm the same age but have been retired for some 20 plus years and enjoy using my Mac, but surely you are not still currently practicing law at your age are you???

I would suggest it's time to take a break and enjoy your free time if you are...

- Patrick
=======
Yes, I am retired from Local Government but I still practise law, but only online. I only do Social Welfare Law, eg. Consumer Protection, Employment & Housing. All the Law Centres in our area, and throughout England have closed down.

Working online keeps my mind occupied, and has helped me cope with my pathologies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

It would be inappropriate of me to recommend any particular course that you might take; but I do understand your situation/dilemma.

There comes a time when the individual must decide what is best for them; even if that contradicts the medical mainstream. The patient's wishes are paramount in all instances.

I wish you well in your choice of treatment. You are now in the driving seat. What is best for you is what you choose.

God bless.

Ian
Yes, I agree, that's the way I handle things. Health is wealth, not how much you have in the bank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those who criticise what I say, should remember I am 83 next birthday and have multiple sclerosis which is a neurological disease affecting the brain, which is one of the reasons I don't like Venture. I've had MS since I was 46 years old, but am proud that I'm still able to give advice on Social Welfare Law to those who need it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@jga40

I don’t think anyone is criticising you.

A difference of opinion - well, that’s okay. Take it or leave it. Move on in your own way.

Medical conditions abound in this forum. Some mention them, others hint.

We are all here to help each other irrespective of age, disability or opinion. That’s why we are popular.

And you, like many others, don’t let disability curb your enthusiasm for helping others.:)(y)

I, for one, wish you well now and in the future.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IWT

Thanks for your comments most appreciated.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Medical conditions abound in this forum. Some mention them, others hint.

We are all here to help each other irrespective of age, disability or opinion.

Ian
When you reach a certain age, it would unusual (though not rare) not to have medical conditions, however I come here for the tech, and not medical advice, or information

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When you reach a certain age, it would unusual (though not rare) not to have medical conditions, however I come here for the tech, and not medical advice, or information
Just so:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.