• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I've been a member of this forum now for almost 16 years!! I know I post rarely but I visit daily and sometimes (try to at least) contribute where I can :)

Anyway, as some of you will know I have a blood / bone marrow / bone cancer called multiple myeloma, and following a stem-cell transplant in July 2015 have been in (partial) remission since.

Well, last month I received the news that I have relapsed and my cancer is affecting me again. So this means the battle with this horrible illness starts all over again. I'm not certain as yet what treatments, etc I will be offered, but I do know that bone-strengthening (with a drug called Zometa) is one treatment I can and will have.

Myeloma first time around caused a spinal fracture which left me permanently disabled and literally millimetres from paralysis, so I really want to avoid that sort of malady again trust me!

So, to all the friends I've made on here since 2007, that's where I'm at right now.

Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nick, so sorry for the relapse and wishing you all the best against this devastating disease! Stay strong.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Aww, thats awful. I'm so sorry to hear that, as a retired Registered Nurse I know how difficult this must be for you and your loved ones. I wish you all the best my friend.🙏

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So sorry Nicky. I will be pulling for you to beat this horrible disease back again. 🙏

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sorry to hear that, Nick. We will be praying for you as you face this challenge. Keep us up-to-date as well as you can!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry to hear that Nick. Sending prayers your way.🙏

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A beastly business, Nick. You have been courageous before and demonstrated the strength to come through adversity.

It's harder now, but with your resolve and the distant support of the members here, go for it. We all wish you well. (y) (y)

Ian

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sorry that you have to go through this again Nick. Be strong and courageous, as you have been in the past. If it's not too difficult for you to use the computer, keep posting. I'm sure that the encouragement you get here helps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Darn Nick...very unfortunate. Hopefully progress has improved with treatments since 2015. Please stay strong!

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks everyone for your kind comments and encouragement :)

I feel fine right now, but know how quickly this illness can progress so I'm trying to keep as busy and productive as possible for now.

as regards treatments, I've a consultation on 3rd May and will know a lot more after that. In 2015 I had a stem-cell transplant and they harvested sufficient cells for a second one, although a preliminary discussion with my haematologist didn't discuss that particular route.

there are new treatments, though I want to avoid chemotherapy if that is at all possible.

once again, thank you everyone - it really is greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
So sorry that you are going through this again. Stay strong, and keep positive!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Definitely praying that all goes well with treatment, and for quick recovery

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi everyone

just a quick update. I started on a course of chemotherapy in mid May, but unfortunately the drugs didn't agree with me and started causing cardiac issues (severe arrhythmia being the worst).

the drugs I was taking are the least cardiac "invasive" kind. I have a heart issue (and a pacemaker fitted already) so any treatment ceased immediately.

I've got another consultation in August but if I'm honest with you I'm not keen on resuming chemo. I'd rather take my chances without it. Yes this means that the prognosis is a shorter lifespan, but I'll take that over the risk, or even just the worry and stress, of sudden cardiac failure or a stroke, etc.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that. I know you were hopeful that this round of chemo would be successful. Here's hoping your consultation in August will bring good news.

I certainly understand your reluctance to continue chemo given the cardiac risks. It sounds like you want to take things on your own terms and at least have one thing you can control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
I've been a member of this forum now for almost 16 years!! I know I post rarely but I visit daily and sometimes (try to at least) contribute where I can :)

Anyway, as some of you will know I have a blood / bone marrow / bone cancer called multiple myeloma, and following a stem-cell transplant in July 2015 have been in (partial) remission since.

Well, last month I received the news that I have relapsed and my cancer is affecting me again. So this means the battle with this horrible illness starts all over again. I'm not certain as yet what treatments, etc I will be offered, but I do know that bone-strengthening (with a drug called Zometa) is one treatment I can and will have.

Myeloma first time around caused a spinal fracture which left me permanently disabled and literally millimetres from paralysis, so I really want to avoid that sort of malady again trust me!

So, to all the friends I've made on here since 2007, that's where I'm at right now.

Nick
Hi Nick,

I've been a member for about 2 years but like you I rarely post. I have blood cancer, the medical name non Hodgkins Lymphoma, to white blood cells. My prognosis is good, in fact my next appoint with a Haematologist is not until December 2023, and that's by video link. I can only send you my best wishes
and say in recent years new treatments have appeared, according to my wife, recently retired nurse for 40 years, with 20 in oncology.

Been a Mac user since 1992, but since I installed Venture, I don't understand the OS, is there anyway I can downgrade to previous OS. Running Venture 13.3 is like an alien OS. I am seriously thinking o buying a good Windows PC. As Mac only account for 8% of laptop sales in the Uk, with 80% opting for Windows.

I know I can use a spare SSD and download New Monteray and boot from that then use Carbon Copy Cloner

Good luck & God bless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've been a member for about 2 years but like you I rarely post.

And it looks like you live in a very interesting and pretty place:

Is south Cumbria a nice place to live?
Jobs, Networking Opportunities & Unique Living in Cumbria ...
Time and again the county comes top of the league in surveys looking at Britain's best places to live. Other research shows that Cumbrians tend to be proud of where they live and pleased that it is one of the safest, most crime-free parts of Britain.

It certainly is a very Diversified Country you live in... I've never been there even though a lot of my relatives still live there and my father was born in the southern part of England but came to Canada at the early start phase of his working life.

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@jga40

Glad to see your health issues are working out.

It sounds like you have more than one question about the current OS that needs answering. Let's start a different thread to avoid the confusion.

A downgrade is possible depending upon whether you have a backup but let's look at other options first.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nick,
I'd rather take my chances without it. Yes this means that the prognosis is a shorter lifespan, but I'll take that over the risk, or even just the worry and stress, of sudden cardiac failure or a stroke, etc.

It would be inappropriate of me to recommend any particular course that you might take; but I do understand your situation/dilemma.

There comes a time when the individual must decide what is best for them; even if that contradicts the medical mainstream. The patient's wishes are paramount in all instances.

I wish you well in your choice of treatment. You are now in the driving seat. What is best for you is what you choose.

God bless.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I've got another consultation in August but if I'm honest with you I'm not keen on resuming chemo. I'd rather take my chances without it. Yes this means that the prognosis is a shorter lifespan, but I'll take that over the risk, or even just the worry and stress, of sudden cardiac failure or a stroke, etc.
I'm so sorry Nicky. A good friend of mine is going through chemo. Her cancer is in the lymph system. She has had some real battles with the side effects and still waiting on if it has all been worth it. My brother just finished treatment for prostate cancer using chemo and radiation. His prognosis is good. But for both chemo has been so hard on there bodies. At some point one has to decide what will offer the best quality of life given we all have an expiration date. I will continue to pray for you.

Lisa

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you everyone :)

Throughout this whole last 9 years or so I have never felt in control of what is ultimately my own situation (and fate). I've just blindly gone along with the medical advice and procedures which have probably extended my life to now.

But all that treatment didn't come without pain and stress and worry. My initial chemo back in early 2015 was stopped early after I developed a huge saddle embolus on my right lung. That I survived was down to my previous levels of fitness from years of cycling (according to my doctors who told me afterwards that they didn't expect me to survive it).

So, this time around I want to take things at my pace and with my best interests at heart. I know that may sound selfish, but Slydude and Lisa have hit the nail firmly on its head - it's the balance between length of life and quality of life, and being in control of that.

What good is another say 5 years, when it's dependent on monthly chemo sessions and all the ills that brings? Now, I'm not "giving up". I will continue to fight this illness (fight is not a term I like as it implies weakness if you lose which is far from the case) but on my own terms.

Now, if I could get my Mac Mini's bluetooth to behave itself that would be a start :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.