Alternative but similar to Apple Earpods?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I actually like the wired Apple Earpods that come with iPhone 11, but they break so quickly. What’s an alternative that’s similar but higher quality build?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi rsherid,

Nice to hear from you again.

Do they have to be wired? If yes, then we can suggest other options. If no; well then you are into a different class of EarPods altogether.

Just in passing, I've had wired EarPods more or less from their introduction. Never had a "break". Now, I've gone wireless.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I actually like the wired Apple Earpods that come with iPhone 11, but they break so quickly. What’s an alternative that’s similar but higher quality build?

The Apple earbuds that ship with iPhones are not of good quality and like you stated, do not last very long. High quality wired earbuds can be very expensive. I suggest doing some shopping on Amazon or if you have a Best Buy close to your home, you can shop there.

I have purchased various makes over the years and while some last longer than others, overall, most earbuds that are not expensive are not going to last much longer than the Apple buds.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
The break in them is the wire inside the cord starts to show and then there’s static when listening. Might be time to try AirPods - they’re just really expensive. Question: How do people not lose them? What if you misplace them? Is there a “Find my Airpods” option?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The break in them is the wire inside the cord starts to show and then there’s static when listening. Might be time to try AirPods - they’re just really expensive. Question: How do people not lose them? What if you misplace them? Is there a “Find my Airpods” option?

I bought my first ever AirPods Pro about a month ago.

Personal impression:

Expensive, but I think worth it.
Very easy to set up and use including the noise cancellation feature
Nice built-in way of determining the best size for each ear via the iPhone (small-medium-large attachments provided and most people have differing ear canal sizes between left & right ears).
There are numerous ways of setting up what a "squeeze" of each Pod will achieve
Yes there is a sort of "Find My " misplaced AirPod
Yes, you can purchase individual ones if you permanently lose one.

I'm not endorsing them versus the competition. I just decided to give them a go. It's amazing what self isolation and boredom drives you to do:);D

My wife may not understand the last statement!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Boy, I've not used wired 'ear phones' for years - went Bluetooth (BT) ASAP - so definitely eliminate being tethered to your devices. As Ian has nicely outlined, Apple's AirPods are attractive but pricey - I've looked at them a number of times - as to one way to prevent loss, a strap can be used - there are plenty available cheaply on Amazon (see pic) - which would definitely be an accessory for me.

But there are just numerous BT options for listening to your 'media' on iDevices, and most are a lot less expensive than the AirPods - for myself, I have some 'in-ear' buds, bone-conduction earphones, and a pair of 'over the ear' headphones. As already suggested, look on Amazon or visit a local Best Buy (WELL, maybe not now! At least, wear a mask and distance yourself assuming the stores are even open?). Good luck in your selection - Dave :)
AirPodStrap.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Even more expensive are the Powerbeats Pro. But these have an earloop so no worries about them falling out and they sound GREAT once you find the right tips to your liking. I'm waiting on some Comply memory foam tips to arrive so I can try those. I actually didn't think I would like these Powerbeats since I am crazy sensitive to earbuds, but these I got used to quickly. Unlike the Airpods, these have real buttons to press, so you don't have to rely on voice commands.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.