Almost ready to Switch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Alright for the past month I've pretty interested in getting a macbook. I've learned that all the programs I use either work on the mac or have similar programs avaliable, and decided I want a refurbished macbook. The only thing that's stopping me is I don't want to get the macbook and then after wwdc have a new model come out.

I'm not the most patient person so I was wondering if I order my mac online if I would be able to return it in the event something better comes out a month or two down the road. I'm going to buy the 3 year extended warrenty also will I be able to bring that back aswell?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You can only return it within 14 days.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Return%20Policy
RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crap, and there's a 10% re-stocking fee! Do you think I should get a mac now? Does anyone think mac is going to release a new model anytime soon? I fear that if I wait and then nothing is released, or something is released that I like less than the present macbook, I will have wasted over a month of my life more on a windows pc!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Macbook -
I say buy, I couldn't be happier with my MacBook as it is. As with all technology, something new is always around the corner, if we all waited we'd never buy anything new through fear of something better coming out in a couple of months!

Buy it and start enjoying it ASAP! ;)

Reaction score
Crap, and there's a 10% re-stocking fee! Do you think I should get a mac now? Does anyone think mac is going to release a new model anytime soon? I fear that if I wait and then nothing is released, or something is released that I like less than the present macbook, I will have wasted over a month of my life more on a windows pc!

I'd say wait until the WWDC (June 11-15). If nothing's announced then, then go ahead and buy. From all the rumours circulating (and with today's Santa Rosa release now out of the way) I'm thinking we've a good chance of some new MBs, MBPs and iMacs by then......I'm sure you can wait just a few more weeks. I'm in a similar position as yourself btw and I know it's not easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I say buy it now. I'm impatient. It's killing me that you may wait and its not even my purchase!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I say buy it now. I'm impatient. It's killing me that you may wait and its not even my purchase!!!!

LOL! Some can wait, some can't, it's such a personal decision.

Glenners, I wouldn't purchase a new mac with the idea of taking it back. Too much trouble and iffyness (is that a word?!).
If you want/need it now, buy it and don't worry about it...you'll love it. There's always something new coming out and if we made our decisions based on that, we'd never buy anything.
Take the plunge and let us know how "in love" you are with your new mac! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. Also, welcome and come back to mac-forums often. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
they just came out with the c2d line a few months ago. I think they wont have a new line of portables for at least 4 or 5 months. The only thing due for a new line is the minis, they still run on the first gen. of core duos used in intel macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I say buy, I couldn't be happier with my MacBook as it is. As with all technology, something new is always around the corner, if we all waited we'd never buy anything new through fear of something better coming out in a couple of months!

Buy it and start enjoying it ASAP! ;)

I have to agree with Flick.

I was in the same situation as well. I was thinking I should wait untill the release of Leopard which got pushed back at the end. And I honestly don't think that Apple with Just start throwing Sanata Rosa in their MacBook line without some nice extensive Testing first (at least u'd hope).

I am a recent switcher myself, and I am in Love With My Gorgeous Kick Butt BLACK MACBOOK and OS X is just mind boggling, when it comes to speed and stability, there is just simply no match.

If you really want/need it then GO BUY IT AND ENJOY, don't forget the Seat Belts r optinal :D :D :p

Mina

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the warm welcome! My gut is telling me to hold off untill wwdc becuase I know I would regret not getting a new model macbook just becuase I'm impatient. One thing is I was looking at the refurb page (gotta buy it reburbished I'm canadian and the exchange is killing me!) and this is what I saw

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Learn More
Price: $1,049.00

Add
Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera
Learn More
Price: $1,099.00

How come one is 50 dollars cheaper? I went over the specs and they seem identical to me.

EDIT: whoops found the difference! The cheaper one if the Intel core duo while the more expensive one is the intel core 2 duo

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
buump!

Hey, If I do end up waiting and new macbooks come out and I buy one won't I have troubles? It seems with most products the first couple batches have problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
Do you perchance qualify for the education discount? Its basically the same prices as refurbished, but your getting a new product.

I was in the same position as well, debating over waiting or just buying. But I realized that every day with my PC became so arduous, i kept loathing for something new, and i just decided to buy it. I couldnt be happier. I personally dont think there will be new MB's released at wwdc, but no one really knows. I would bet apple would delay the release of a new computer and match it up with Leopard, which comes out in October (as of now), which is too long to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Do you perchance qualify for the education discount? Its basically the same prices as refurbished, but your getting a new product.

I always recommend people to NOT purchase from Apple, even if its with the educational discount. After taxes, the price of the discounted laptop returns to its original price.

I recommend purchasing from an AUTHORIZED reseller. You can sometimes find their laptops about $50 cheaper and with a $100-$150 rebate.

I was able to snag an upper end Core Duo MBP just when the Core 2 Duo versions came out. I was able to buy an originally priced $2500 MBP for $1600 after a $100 rebate, and it was new in box.

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow that's a great deal. I'm using an eductational discount and buying refurchised so the mid level macbook is only 1099 instead of 1299 and since I don't live in calafornia, no tax!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow that's a great deal. I'm using an eductational discount and buying refurchised so the mid level macbook is only 1099 instead of 1299 and since I don't live in calafornia, no tax!

I think the taxt applies to any state with an Apple store. By federal law, Apple is supposed to charge tax anywhere they carry a business license, which is every state with an Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I think the taxt applies to any state with an Apple store. By federal law, Apple is supposed to charge tax anywhere they carry a business license, which is every state with an Apple store.

That is absolutely true. It doesn't matter where u are when buying ur Mac online, u'll still get charged the taxes.

OP
Glenners
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for correcting me about the taxes. Mayeb I'll just buy from the canadian store then even though the taxes are more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for correcting me about the taxes. Mayeb I'll just buy from the canadian store then even though the taxes are more.

Why don't you give an authorized reseller a look? Most of them don't charge taxes since they are online-only stores. Plus, Canadian laws might be different than American laws, you might not receive any taxes from Apple if thats the case!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.