"All Photos Data" - Question

Reaction score
The "All Photos Data" option when transferring (sending, Airdropping, etc.) says "...includes all data in original quality along with metadata." I did a comparison and both are the same resolution with seemingly identical quality. Is there any real difference with this option when it comes to pixel / photo quality, or is it mostly about sharing the metadata too?

Reaction score
I don't have much experience working with pictures on iPhones, but I'm inclined to think you're spot on. The "All Photos Data" option will indeed keep the original resolution and quality, but it also includes all metadata associated with the photo (like location, date, camera settings, etc). So, in terms of pixel quality or resolution, there won't be a difference. The main advantage here is that it maintains all that rich contextual info attached to your photo, which can be handy for organizing, editing, or just recalling memories. Cheers!

P.S. Also, be careful with that metadata when sending pictures to someone on the internet because it might not get deleted and the info might get into the wrong hands.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Member @newbutter is correct. All means “all” in the context you are discussing. :)

Ian

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
I don't have much experience working with pictures on iPhones, but I'm inclined to think you're spot on. The "All Photos Data" option will indeed keep the original resolution and quality, but it also includes all metadata associated with the photo (like location, date, camera settings, etc). So, in terms of pixel quality or resolution, there won't be a difference. The main advantage here is that it maintains all that rich contextual info attached to your photo, which can be handy for organizing, editing, or just recalling memories. Cheers!

P.S. Also, be careful with that metadata when sending pictures to someone on the internet because it might not get deleted and the info might get into the wrong hands.
So when you say it does include original quality and resolution, but it doesn't change pixel quality or resolution...can you explain? That seems opposite to me.

Reaction score
So when you say it does include original quality and resolution, but it doesn't change pixel quality or resolution...can you explain? That seems opposite to me.

What I am saying is that the "All Photos Data" option doesn't affect the visual quality of your photos at all – so your pictures will look just as good whether you choose this option or not. The key difference is what additional information gets saved along with the photo itself.
So, it's basically all about the metadata:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
So, it's basically all about the metadata:)
Just remember not all metadata is equal, the metadata produced by Apple Photos is not necessarily read by other applications and vice versa, e.g. location data in Photos is not picked up by Adobe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.