Airport WiFi extension Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 13" MBP, 16GB, 512G, 2011 13" MBP, 8GB, 256GB; 2012 Mini, 8GB, 128GB SSD, 500 GB HD, IPAD II
This afternoon I was working with an airport express that I have used to extend my wifi network
as well as to provide AirPlay connection for music distribution. It has worked flawlessly for 4-5 years.
Looking at some parameters with Airport Utility, I must have updated a parameter "inadvertantly".
Nevertheless the Aairport Express stopped connecting and was basically out of business. I worked with
it trying reconfig options and restarts until it finally began to work again.

Unfortunately, I was not disciplined enough in my troubleshooting steps to know for sure what fixed what.
It is working now, but...... The Airport utility diagram shows a dashed line between the Airport Extreme
and the Airport Express. I believe previously it showed a solid line.

I cannot find that documented anywhere. Does it mean the connection is wireless?
If so, how do I fix that?

I have an ethernet port for the Airport Express and I expect it to use the wire to get to the Extreme.

Any explanations would be appreciated

Update: Further time shows it is not really corrected. Express is still not connecting properly. It also
causes network WiFi to cease working.
Unplugging and "forgetting" fixes WiFi. But Express is now out of business.

John

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 13" MBP, 16GB, 512G, 2011 13" MBP, 8GB, 256GB; 2012 Mini, 8GB, 128GB SSD, 500 GB HD, IPAD II
That was my next step. Just seems like admitting failure.
If I knew what caused the problem, I ought to be able to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do know the dotted line indicates a wireless connection - as long as the dot is green and no exclamation or red dots are showing in the Airport Utility.

Lisa

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the factory reset, but was never able to extend the wireless using the wired Express.
I have since realized that it was probably not working that way previously. I think that
I had the Express set to "create a wireless network" rather than "extend". I do not think
that the Express will support that. Not critical for me, my Extreme can reach the whole house.
So I will be using the Extress for Airplay, which was it's most important task.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally got the config back to original.
The key was to set up the Express wirelessly with no Ethernet cable plugged into it.
Configured it to "join a wireless network" in bridge mode
Once it was working fine and showing in Airport Utility, Turned WiFi off on the Express, and plugged in the ENet cable to the Wan Port.
The connection to the Extreme changed from dotted to solid.
Changed config on the Express to "create a WiFi Network"
Entered the exact same network name and WPA2 password as is on the Extreme.
applied the changes,
success, both Airports show service to WiFi clients. Airplay works and LAN port works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Finally got the config back to original.
The key was to set up the Express wirelessly with no Ethernet cable plugged into it.
Configured it to "join a wireless network" in bridge mode
Once it was working fine and showing in Airport Utility, Turned WiFi off on the Express, and plugged in the ENet cable to the Wan Port.
The connection to the Extreme changed from dotted to solid.
Changed config on the Express to "create a WiFi Network"
Entered the exact same network name and WPA2 password as is on the Extreme.
applied the changes,
success, both Airports show service to WiFi clients. Airplay works and LAN port works.

Thanks for the guidelines above - I'm considering Wi-Fi extension myself in my den (you responded to one of my threads) and have not decided on the best option or even if I need to?

BUT, just as a general FYI statement, I am currently reading the book below on my iPad Air 2 - was just updated in November w/ new info added, so I'm doing a re-read - purchased via iBooks but available on Amazon, for those who may be interested. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 3.51.18 PM.png

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOW you find this very helpful book.

Thnx
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
NOW you find this very helpful book.

Hey John -LOL :) - well, I've had this book on my iPad for a year or more - just now mentioned it because of the recent update last month which was a free download for me - recommended, especially at the price. Dave

Reaction score
AirPort dotted lines to solid

Hi,

Thanks for your guide. Are both the express and extreme set to "create a wireless network?", the dotted line appears eventough the express is wireless conectted?...Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The dotted line simply means the extender is connected through a wireless connection as opposed to a wired ethernet connection.

And no both can not be set to create a wireless connection. The one that has an ethernet connection to your router/modem should be set to create a wireless network. The one that is used as an extender and is connecting using a wireless connection should be set to "extend a wireless network" and the wireless network name must be the same on both.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Lisa. That explains a problem I had this week with my Time Capsule. For years I've used it to create a second wireless network. One for slower devices (2.4 GHZ) and higher speed stuff on a 5 GHz band. Lower band run directly from the router and higher band from the Time Capsule. I was able to use two different names.

Earlier this week I moved the Time Capsule to test its USB ports. To di that I had to disconnect the ethernet connection between the two devices and make them join each other wirelessly. As a result I couldn't go back to the two different name setup. I discovered exactly what you describe. Drive me nuts for a while there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome :*

Happy New Year!

Lisa

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could never get the Express to configure with a solid (wired link) line on Airport Utility until I configured it
with "create a wireless network" . The sequence of actions that I used is documented in my last post above.
It has been working fine since then.

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.