AirPort SEES the network, but refuses to touch it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...I'm working remotely at a different office. When I search for networks via AirPort, our work network shows up. When I highlight it or otherwise try to connect to it, though, my MacBook pretends it doesn't exist...hard to explain, wish I could take video to show you exactly what happens. In other words, when I highlight our network, it tells me "No network selected."

We have several PCs here connecting wirelessly with no problem, though.

Thoughts??

(BTW -- I apologize if something similar was posted...I tried a search but couldn't find it...)

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my new (to me) MacBook. My wifi network appeared in the list, but it just wouldn't connect. The other laptops in the house could connect to it fine

My router was set to use channels B & G. I found on the net (can't find it now, sorry) that MacBooks don't cope very well with multichannel, and to set it to use one channel or the other. I did that, and it worked fine.

Reaction score
Well, it worked fine for almost a week, and now the same problem has recurred. I've tried swapping the router from channel B to channel G, but to no avail.

On boot up, it says none of my preferred networks are available, and gives me a choice of available ones, which bizarrely includes my own network! On selecting it and entering the password, it immediately comes back with a timeout error.

This is very annoying! :Angry:

Reaction score
Last night I upgraded the firmware in my router, and the MacBook connected to it instantly. The router is a Netgear DG834G.

I will see how it goes over the weekend, and post my findings on here, on the off-chance that someone else finds it useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I've noticed, that while channels 6 and 11 are recommended, by book only likes to connect on channel 11. That may be part of your issue, as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.