Airport express - connect iMac music library to stereo in another room?

Reaction score
(Newbie question).
I have an 3 yr old iMac in my office and would like to play my iTunes collection in another room (50' away or so) - connecting to a stereo that is installed there. I don't have it, but wonder whether Airport Express is designed to have this capability (I don't want to run cable through the house). I already have a home wifi network. My basic audio receiver is a 7 year old Onkyo TX-8255. Does anyone know if it's possible to easily do this sort of thing, and if it usually works well? What hardware would be needed? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
We had been using an older white Airport Express, the ones with the rounded edges, that worked well with all our Macs and iPads that was connected to our Yamaha receiver. No problems at all as long as one waited a bit for everything to warm up when first switched on. The Airport Express was plugged into the receivers switched AC receptacle.

We recently replaced the Airport Express with an Apple TV, and it works well as well, but it's powered up all the time and switches itself on and off automatically.

PS: I also got it all working using our old Harmony Remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
(Newbie question).
I have an 3 yr old iMac in my office and would like to play my iTunes collection in another room (50' away or so) - connecting to a stereo that is installed there. I don't have it, but wonder whether Airport Express is designed to have this capability (I don't want to run cable through the house). I already have a home wifi network. My basic audio receiver is a 7 year old Onkyo TX-8255. Does anyone know if it's possible to easily do this sort of thing, and if it usually works well? What hardware would be needed? Thanks.

Hello, one possibility already provided and a number of options exist - an AirPlay compatible receiver or powered speakers would be an easy choice, but I'm assuming your old receiver does not offer that Apple technology.

So, let me just describe another choice that I setup in minutes to my old NAD receiver - I have a stereo mini-RCA adapter (like the one shown below) plugged into the AUX inputs of the NAD - I usually just attach my iPod or MBPro directly to play my MP3 music on those devices over the stereo system.

Instead, I turned on 'Home Sharing' (iTunes Preferences - requires your Apple ID login) on my MBPro (containing my main iTunes music library) and on my iPad, plugged in latter into my stereo's AUX inputs and shared my laptop's music library over my Wi-Fi network - at the moment working just fine - so one solution. Let us know your results. Dave :)

41r5tZ7rqTL.jpg

OP
G
Reaction score
Quick clarification

Thanks for the really helpful and quick responses.
If I have this right:
1. Airport Express should work with my older receiver (it worked on an older Yamaha, with just a bit of warm up time lag).
2. By turning on home sharing with my home network, and connecting an iPad or iPhone to the receiver (with the RCA cable), the iPad should be able to stream the iTunes that are on the iMac (without having to download those tunes on the iPad). And, right, the receiver does not have Apple Airplay (it's too old).
I'll try option #2 first (it's much cheaper), and, if that doesn't work, will move on to option #1.
I'll let you know how this works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the really helpful and quick responses.
If I have this right:
1. Airport Express should work with my older receiver (it worked on an older Yamaha, with just a bit of warm up time lag).
2. By turning on home sharing with my home network, and connecting an iPad or iPhone to the receiver (with the RCA cable), the iPad should be able to stream the iTunes that are on the iMac (without having to download those tunes on the iPad). And, right, the receiver does not have Apple Airplay (it's too old).
I'll try option #2 first (it's much cheaper), and, if that doesn't work, will move on to option #1.
I'll let you know how this works out.

If you already have a home Wi-Fi network w/ your computer(s) & iDevice(s) are communicating, then there is no need to buy an Airport Express - just follow my steps w/ the cable shown and an iDevice to plug into your stereo, then you should be able to play your music content over the network to your stereo - I've been listening to 4 hrs+ of my music on my MBPro w/ no problem - maybe not the most eloquent solution but works - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... I guess that setup would work assuming one has a spare iDevice to use and plug it in when needed, but I know I don't and using an Airport Express makes things so much easier.

But to each their own I guess.. ;)

Besides which, my wife insists on things that are simple to use and just work when they're turned On.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... I guess that setup would work assuming one has a spare iDevice to use and plug it in when needed, but I know I don't and using an Airport Express makes things so much easier.

But to each their own I guess.. ;)

Besides which, my wife insists on things that are simple to use and just work when they're turned On.

Well, not expecting such mockery of a simple and obviously an intermittent solution to stream one's music library to an old stereo system in another room - I'm sure many of us have a number of iDevices that permit Home Sharing, so not really a major inconvenience - personally, I don't need to stream from my laptop, so just offering one suggestion - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mockery intended at all, and 'm sorry you took it as such.

PS: We also use our Macs and iPads to play various internet radio stations with any of them that we want to use and the AP Express works very well for our use.

At least the OP now has various choices. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.