Airport Express... am I using it right?

Reaction score
I wanted to know if I set up my Airport Extreme correctly and using it to its best use.*

Does Apple TV work better with the AP Extreme streaming movies? Do I need to plug the Apple TV into the AP Extreme right now its plugged into the Cables box.

In the image you can see Sean's Apple is the network I created. 2WIRE927 is the name of the AT&T network. Sean's Guest is for guests. So 2WIRE927 should always show right isn't that what the AP Extreme is using?

My iPhone and computer automatically connect to the name of the 2WIRE927 unless I change it. Is that a big deal? In my studio which has abad connection I should manually choose the Sean's Apple then to reap the benefits?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 8.08.30 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-04 00:17:53 +0000.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-04 00:17:53 +0000.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome :)

I find that my ATV streams better coming from my Airport Device than from my NetGear Modem/Router.

I have a 3TB TimeCapsule hardwired into my NetGear, and then I use that as a dedicated network, for ME alone, and my ATV. This way, I have my ATV3, iPhone5, iPad Air 2, MBP and iMac, all on the same network, and then everyone else, can use the WiFi from the NetGear.
You are doing it right IMO, but if you have a weak signal (if that is the bad connection) I would look at buying a Airport Express and use that to extend the Sean's Network to your Study. I have a AE in the hallway, that gives me 3bars, in my Bedroom and also have a NetGear Wireless Extender, for everyone else, in the back of the house.

HTH

Cheers

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What I meant was I got a weak signal before buying it. Your saying if I continue to get a weak signal to get an express and have that in the studio connected to the Extreme?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes.
But, I wouldn't put it in the Studio, because if that is where the weak signal is, your Express will be struggling to pick the signal up, so put the Express somewhere in-between, so it gets a good strong signal from the Extreme then puts out a good strong signal, and it should be in such a place that it reaches the Study and gives out about 3 bars.

My place is quite large and I use a App like this WiFi Explorer to get a good signal readout of my WiFi, and using this App, I placed my AE, in the best place to get good strong WiFi Signal throughout the house.
Here is another that is a free Utility like the above, that I started out using Netspot _ Wifi Survey & Wireless Explorer . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.