Airpod Pro charging/connection with silicone ear wing

Reaction score
I like the ease of use and sound of my Airpod Pro's. Problem is, they do NOT stay in my ears. I tried some different tips, foam and silicone, spent way too much money (wasted) to no avail. I then bought the Beats Fit Pro, which have an ear wing built in. They work just fine and are easy to use. But, I did not want to waste the Airpods, so I just recently purchased some very inexpensive silicone ear wings for the Airpods. A $3.99 experiment. Yeah, they work and now I can enjoy the sound of the Airpod Pros. But, you cannot close the case with them on, and since you really need to remove the tips to easily install/remove these, I decided to leave them on. The Airpods will charge with the case open. You can charge the case with it open.

Here's the problem and where I would appreciate a suggestion. With the case open, even if I bluetooth disconnect the Airpods, they seem to be active and either looking to connect or something, as the battery starts to drain immediately. I am looking for a way to do this without the Airpods or case from draining when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpeg
    IMG_0480.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hey, @sbmeyer001!

Sounds like you've found a decent workaround with the silicone ear wings! It's a good idea to use them indeed. About the battery drainage issue, I'd recommend getting a separate charging case for the earbuds. There are third-party cases available that might fit the AirPods with the wings attached.

If not, you could also look into a small power bank to charge your AirPods when not in use. These are generally quite portable and could help maintain your battery life.

Lastly, you might want to double-check your AirPods' settings on your device. Sometimes, features like automatic ear detection can cause the AirPods to stay active even when not in use.

Hope that helps! :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, @sbmeyer001!

Sounds like you've found a decent workaround with the silicone ear wings! It's a good idea to use them indeed. About the battery drainage issue, I'd recommend getting a separate charging case for the earbuds. There are third-party cases available that might fit the AirPods with the wings attached.

If not, you could also look into a small power bank to charge your AirPods when not in use. These are generally quite portable and could help maintain your battery life.

Lastly, you might want to double-check your AirPods' settings on your device. Sometimes, features like automatic ear detection can cause the AirPods to stay active even when not in use.

Hope that helps! :)
Thanks for the reply. I did not find any 3rd party charging cases with a larger lid, but you did give me an idea! (I realize this will not be a portable solution, but great for when they are just sitting around in the house.) I placed a small magnet on the edge, and the phone thinks the case is closed! I am testing to see if that slows down battery drain.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.