Airdrop issue. Macbook doesn't discover devices and vice versa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Judging by the 1,170 views of this post it's a common topic of interest.
Really it is such a core function AirDrop should just work yet there seem to be a host of reasons why it doesn't.
I discovered one impediment in my case was a VPN. Pretty reasonable really, I had to turn it off if I wanted to connect to any other device from my MBP but easy to forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Really it is such a core function AirDrop should just work yet there seem to be a host of reasons why it doesn't.

I would agree and it is rather strange why it is not fully supported.

I spent some time with our two "Unsupported" 2011 iMacs recently and following several articles on how to enable it on such Apple unsupported machines. Why they are I don't know.

It would have been handy and nice to use when our LAN file-sharing was rearing its ugly head and refusing to work properly. Finally fixed and working but nothing that couldn't be overcome using flash drive sneakernet. :D

I shall try again to get AirDrop working between our 2011 iMacs.

If it's really not Apple supported on these iMacs, Why is it installed and showing from our Go menus and elsewhere???

Unfortunately it just doesn't work... at least so far...

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AirDrop is certainly handy if your Mac supports it. My wife receives a lot of graphic charts on her iPhone that need to be printed out. Without the use of AirDrop it would mean having to attach her iPhone to our iMac via USB and use Image Capture to import the graphic chart and then print it. AirDrop is fast and so much more convenient to use.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are a few alternatives though. I successfully used FileDrop with my wife’s old 2011 MBP when her Airdrop simply refused to work. Like Airdrop it also requires Bluetooth as well as the same WiFi network. AirDrop Alternatives for Mac - AlternativeTo.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There are a few alternatives though.

Thanks for your suggestions Rod.

I'll have a look a little bit later, right now, I have to go cook some Lamb burgers on the barbecue for my wife and myself.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yum! Believe it or not lamb is a little out of our price range at the moment. Probably because of the fact that we export so much of it and of course the recent bushfires and covid-19. We're saving up for a leg roast. Enjoy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.