Agressive e-mail!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have just recieved this very agressive e-mail from god knows who telling me that if I don't do such and such then my balls will be cut off, or something similar!

I realise that everyone has to be careful, but I am not used to, or will ever be

Dear Customer,

As of January 1, 2014, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has mandated that all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and Registrant contact modifications.

Your email address,xxxxxxxxxxx @wanadoo. fr has been listed as the Registrant contact for jonzjob-xxxx-xxxxxx.com.

To verify your email address, please click on the following link:

http :// whoisaccuracy.liquidnetlimited.com/?key=03ecb0401caaad1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please note that failure to verify the Registrant contact email address may lead to deactivation of the respective domain name(s).

Once deactivated, the specified domain name(s) will not function unless the email address is verified.

Affected domain name(s):

jonzjob -xxxxx-xxxxxxx.com

If you need additional information on this verification, you can contact us at:

Email:
domains @propersupport.com

Phone numbers:
US Toll Free: +1-855-211-0932
US line: +1-727-546-HOST(4678)
UK line: +44-20-3695-1294
AU line: +61-2-8417-2372

Best Regards,
LiquidNet Ltd.
Your ICANN-accredited Registrar

I have just tried phoning these people, in Bulgaria where the phone centre is! and they told me to try clicking on the link to confirm my details. Surprise surprise it comes up ' Server not found' ! Whe are these people?

Eventually, after I had phoned back, on the 001 international number that took me to Bulgaria? (I alwaws thought that 001 was the good old USA?) I have been sent the correct link and hopefully my e-mail adress has been verified?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay I get similar emails that ask me to make sure my information as the website admin. But there it is more of a reminder to go check out my info at ICANN. I am trying to remember just what I did. I don't remember it being a big deal or having links to click.

Obviously what you received does not remotely look legit. These types of emails will only continue as more and more scammers are successful. If it were me, I would have just deleted it and manually checked my information with ICANN.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to echo what others have said. This is just spam email. Delete it…and move on.:)

You should not have bothered to call them…and you should not have shared any personal info with them.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Okay I get similar emails that ask me to make sure my information as the website admin. But there it is more of a reminder to go check out my info at ICANN. I am trying to remember just what I did. I don't remember it being a big deal or having links to click.

Obviously what you received does not remotely look legit. These types of emails will only continue as more and more scammers are successful. If it were me, I would have just deleted it and manually checked my information with ICANN.

Lisa

Just to echo what others have said. This is just spam email. Delete it…and move on.:)

You should not have bothered to call them…and you should not have shared any personal info with them.

- Nick

On the contrary folks, the email is legit as is the request from OP's registrar since ICANN IS asking for WHOIS contact verification as noted in the link I provided..

Bogus domains gets created all the time and trying to verify WHOIS information is the least ICANN can do..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
email from someone representing to be with company "Axyz" and the email does not belong to the "Axyz" domain - that email goes directly into the trash - period.

In the case with iCANN, my bank and other legitimate services I use, I then go directly to their site (in this case, your registrar) and verify - no need to take any chance in any case.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What was making me feel that it may or may not have been a legit email message was that it was coming from Bulgaria. I know that the OP's profile mentions their location as France…so the Bulgaria location sounded "fishy" (since the OP seemed concerned).

I know that "WHOIS" info is publicly available…and can be Googled by anyone wanting to check on who the owner is (WHOIS) of a website. I actually pay extra to my website hosting company (registrar) to block my WHOIS info from being Googled by anyone.

Maybe some scammers in Bulgaria could be trying to get more info out of the OP than just the normal WHOIS info…by concocting a fake (but real looking email message).

The OP seemed sort of concerned about all of this. So I was assuming that the OP should know where their website hosting company is located…and not be surprised by this email. Of course if the OP's website registrar is actually in Bulgaria…then this could be legit. But then OP shouldn't be so surprised/concerned.

So I guess that it boils down to the OP knowing who they should be dealing with (legitimately) regarding their website…and who may be "fakers".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There is no big deal with ICANN and verification. I have two websites with my email attached as admin. I get emails to ask me to check and make sure my info is up to date. But I have never had to click on anything in the email to verify or call a number which is why I find it fishy.

Lisa

Reaction score
As my opinion if you think that those emails are aggressive don't click any link of them which inserted into the emails content and of course personal information. I think there has unsubscribe option as well. Just do it what you think better.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
First let me say that I am sorry that my post had to be 'sanitised'. That isn't like me at all. I suppose that I just got a bit carried away?

Until this came up I had no idea the ICANN existed. This site that I am trying to creat is only the second time that I have ever had a site. The first beng started several years back and not very well maintained by me either :eek:

If I see what I think is a scam then the first thing is to bin it. I have worked that way for a long time, but this seemed different and I didn't want to loose the name.

Phoning tha States is not a problem as the FT contract we have covers call to most of the world. But, it was a surprise when I found that I was talking to a bloke in Bulgaria. I have phoned U.K. call centers and finished up in India, so I shouldn't have been too surprised I suppose? Anyway, if it's a legit e-mail then the problem was sorted by the phone call. If not then the only info they got was what they already had, so nowt lost, I hope??

Thank you for all the info you have given me. When I get the oppertunity I will see if I can cobble this perishing site together. If only I could hit this sort of thing with my calibrated knockometer (hammer) then I could sort, but this sort of thing I always find difficult!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If not then the only info they got was what they already had, so nowt lost, I hope??

Good deal. If these folks are questionable…glad they didn't get any info they didn't already have.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well John, better than having a sqeaky voice lol.

Down Under there are only two locations for all call centers - Manilla in the Phillipines and Mumbai, formerly Bombay, but that is how the world is going - cheap labour rather than using locals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.