adware removal

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A lot of people around here have been vouching for AdwareMedic (I can't speak to it directly as I haven't used it). Give that a try and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you are getting strange tabs opening when clicking on links, then AdwareMedic works a treat.
AdwareMedic

M

MacInWin

And if that cleans it, get either AdBlock+ or Ghostery, or both, to block adware going forward.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks AdwareMedic cleared up my problems. Now I have to research whether Adblock+ and Ghostery are safe...

M

MacInWin

They are. We have recommended them here many times. AdBlock just blocks ads, as you would suppose. Ghostery does more, blocking trackers int he internet in general. You get a list of everything it blocked at each website. You can suspend one or more or all of the blocking temporarily if you must.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks AdwareMedic cleared up my problems. Now I have to research whether Adblock+ and Ghostery are safe...

A bit late for that wouldn't you say considering you already installed and ran them. :eek:

But luckily for you, they are both very safe, even though Ghostery may possibly have some background tracking going on, but nothing to worry about.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
In addition to Ghostery, AdBlock and AdwareMedic, I use the pay-for app, Cookie Stumbler. I guess this works in much the same way as Craig's suggestion of "Cookie" although I have no personal experience of the latter.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.