Advise on a New user....

J

Joeytpg

Guys, i know that like me, there must be a thousand "recent -switched" kids that simply don't know WHAT to do when their new mac knocks on the door....

for example, i don't know what i'll do exactly (step by step) when i buy my new pbook (i'll be going to Fl. July 2nd and i'll buy it there!! :D)

so please i'd like to know "Step by Spep" what should i do when i buy my new mac (i haven't owned a mac ever, so that's why i ask)

For example: Get it out of the box, install the battery let it Dry out completely and THEN charge it completely...etc. etc..

so what should i do (with internet conexion, updating programs and how to do it, repair parmissions, etc. etc.. everything!)

WE WANT A COMPLETE "SWITCHER GUIDE" :D :D

thanks for the help...but i'm a little bit lost here and i want to get the fullest from my new pbook even from the start! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well, as a start, repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions Also make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. Welcome to Mac! :)

OP
C

Chamorro

tried searching?

Can't help about new PB procedures, but I can tell you that a lot of the maintenance procedures are spelled out in other topics....try searching for posts w/ "troubleshooting" by user "trpnmonkey41" for the basics. Also search under "macjanitor"-that'll probably bring up a bunch of topics.

Internet connection depends on your use. Basically the same ideas as in the Windows world (phone line>modem jack, or cable/dsl modem>router>hub>computers, or cable/dsl modem>computer, etc. etc.)

To find general info about your Mac, make sure you're in the Finder and go to the Apple Menu>About This Mac. There's a button ("More Info", I think) that will bring up System Profiler, which goes into more detail about all of your hardware, software and peripherals.

Software Update in in the System Preferences. You can choose how often to search for updates, etc. When it finds new software, you get a window displaying what you can install. You decide which software you need/want.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Joeytpg -

After get get your powerbook out of the, I beleive it is recommend that you plug in your laptop to charge up your battery to get a full charge. You will not have do any thing but turn the system on. The OS is all ready loaded and ready to go.

Since you did not say anything about going wireless, then connect your powerbook to your network.

Turn on your new powerbook, upon boot up just answer the questions that appear. The initial start up application will personalize and set up your powerbook.

After which you should be good to go.

Now if you are planning to place your personal data on the powerbook, that is another story.

If you check the little document that comes with your powerbook it should tell you what to do about the battery.

I got my Ti powerbook when they first came out, so the battery procedure maybe different.

OP
J

Joeytpg

thank you rman, very helpfull.........and thanks to the other guys as well witeshark & Chamorro...... :)

i'm just getting ready you know? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also - so you are not in suspence, you can run the Mac while it's charging :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's a setup utility that'll walk you through internet connection and registration info.

There's also information on how to calibrate your battery in the manual.

witeshark said:
Well, as a start, repair permissions....

First, run Software Update, and then install & update your applications (since installs are notorious for screwing up your permissions) and then repair all the permissions all in one scoop.

Then have fun. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.