Advice on networking with a NAS drive

Reaction score
I have a small business setup within an office environment. The actual machines we are running on vary, I won't bore you with it but please ask if you feel its helpful/important. Currently all machines are linked by a wired network using ethernet cables via my broadband router. All files are hosted on my MBP with the other two machines logging into my machine to gain access and work on files.

This causes a couple of issues:
1) when they (or I) open files and save them it changes the permissions and makes them 'read only' for other users.
2) general sharing issues such are large files becoming hard to open over the network etc.
3) when I leave the office they are left without what they need or have to save a copy on their machine.

I have been advised that a NAS drive would be a good solution to this issue as well as being relatively inexpensive when compared with getting a full blown server.

Questions:
1) do you feel that a NAS drive would be a good solution to the issues I'm facing?
2) do you see any issues that I need to be aware of or watch out for?
3) are there any specific features that you think I should look out for? I am aware of the benefits of RAID etc.
4) is there anything I need to look out for or to address that may cause issues with transfer speed etc. All the connections are wired via ethernet so Im hoping that it won't cause too many issues.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask for any further info you need.

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad Core i5; 8GB; 1TB HDD
Centralized storage would be a benefit for anyone working from a shared resource. I agree with the proposed solution.

There are Pro/Cons to a commercial NAS vs "full blown server" and neither solution has to be complex. I can be as simple as a Win95 box hosting a shared file structure (though I wouldn't recommend that) or as grandiose as you envision.

I have and use a Synology DS214Play at home because it had the best mix of features, hardware and "simplicity" (which is a relative term) for my needs, budget and desire to tinker.

OP
B
Reaction score
Jaybird -

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. As long as it can fit the following criteria its a good solution I guess

1) relatively simplistic - not a huge complex setup
2) not going to cost the earth
3) working on/transferring files will be quick
4) easy to set permissions and not have them changed when one person in the office opens the file to work on it.

Please let me know if you think any of these things may be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think your options are wide open with the criterion you have outlined.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're very welcome. Post back if you would like any feedback on some candidates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.