Advice on a trade

OP
M
Reaction score
update.....i went to panera the other day and i took the MBP with me, and it wouldnt even recognize the wifi they had there, and yesterday i went to starbucks and still the same thing... what is my next step?? new airport card?? im getting really annoyed with this. i have a beautiful machine and all i can do is look at it and admire its beauty, unless however i run a ethernet cable across the room which i def dont wanna do.Please help!!also i need to be like a foot away from my router to get a steady connection

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
update.....i went to panera the other day and i took the MBP with me, and it wouldnt even recognize the wifi they had there, and yesterday i went to starbucks and still the same thing... what is my next step??

Please help!!also i need to be like a foot away from my router to get a steady connection

That was a GREAT idea going to Panera & Starbuck's to test your Macbook Pro's WiFi!!!:) I usually recommend that...but it must have slipped my mind in this thread!:(

One thing to think about (unfortunately)...is that the previous owner of this 17" Macbook Pro probably had this WiFi problem as well. This won't help you now...but whenever I purchase a used laptop (which is probably close to 10-12 laptops)...I ALWAYS meet at a Panera, Starbucks, McDonald's, or a place that has free WiFi to test the WiFi.

Assuming all of your software settings are correct...and that you do have a hardware issue go to iFixit: The free repair manual ...for parts & installation instructions (if you feel your able to do the repairs yourself). If I got your Macbook Pro's model number correct...here are two replacement airport cards for your computer:

MacBook Pro 17" Model A1151 Parts - iFixit

...they're not cheap ($79-$89 dollars)...but at least it's a part that can be replaced!:) With this part info...you may be able to find them cheaper on e-Bay.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help...put it up for sale local with the airport problem known. still gonna fix it tho, i disclosed this as well. i am mechanically inclined so i will give it a go mysef. thanks again and i will keep you updated as i go

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help...put it up for sale local with the airport problem known. still gonna fix it tho, i disclosed this as well. i am mechanically inclined so i will give it a go mysef. thanks again and i will keep you updated as i go

Sounds great! Good job with the local sale...making sure to mention the WiFi issue!:)

Here are the replacement instructions for the WiFi card from iFixit.com:

Installing MacBook Pro 17" Models A1151 A1212 A1229 and A1261 AirPort Extreme Replacement - iFixit

It appears to be a "moderate" difficulty repair job...but mostly a bunch screws to keep track of...so a "doable" job for someone that's "mechanically inclined" as you mentioned.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I did notice that my airport card is a 802.11g card not a 802.11n card, and my router is a n+ router.So will the 802.11n help my connectivity issues??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did notice that my airport card is a 802.11g card not a 802.11n card, and my router is a n+ router.So will the 802.11n help my connectivity issues??

Probably not. But check your router's specs just in case. Your router is probably "g" & "n" compatible...so your router would be fine with your Macbook Pro.

Also...since your went to Panera & Starbuck's...I'm sure their WiFi networks were "g" compatible. Wireless "n" is pretty much the cutting edge of wireless technology for the average consumer...so Panera & Starbucks would very likely be "g" compatible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
bleh, I need to read post dates...

Like pigoo said, starbucks is probably g internet, seeing as though thats good enough internet for the average starbucks customer requirements, but sometimes it could be an issue with power saving features maybe, or security settings. I know that my dads laptop would never get internet unless he toned down the security on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
see if you can get him to maybe give you 50 bucks in addition to the trade, seeing as though aside from a smaller screen, your macbook is better in every way. then use the money to buy yourself some more ram for the macbook, but be sure to know the specs first so you buy the right ram

The trade was completed 6 days ago!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
The trade was completed 6 days ago!

- Nick
:Confused:
can you see that I edited my post? serious question here because I've edited a lot of posts, and this could be a reason behind a lot things..
also, if you cant see it, this is what I wrote:

bleh, I need to read post dates...

Like pigoo said, starbucks is probably g internet, seeing as though thats good enough internet for the average starbucks customer requirements, but sometimes it could be an issue with power saving features maybe, or security settings. I know that my dads laptop would never get internet unless he toned down the security on it.

OP
M
Reaction score
i hope the new airport card helps!! otherwise i will be tempted to throw it out the window!!:Not-Amused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:Confused:
can you see that I edited my post? serious question here because I've edited a lot of posts, and this could be a reason behind a lot things..

You need to pay attention to details my friend!;)

If you look carefully...my post was made at 12:19pm...you edited your post at 12:20pm!

In other words...I posted my message BEFORE you edited your message!!!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i hope the new airport card helps!! otherwise i will be tempted to throw it out the window!!:Not-Amused:

When you troubleshoot & repair your own computer problems (to save some money or just for the challenge)...sometimes you get it right & sometimes you don't!;)

It does seem that you need a new Airport card...and since it is replaceable...it's a great place to start.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Took the computer to my local apple expert and he diagnosed a bad airport card...whew!!:) but while im in there im gonna max out the ram and put a 350gb 7200rpm hard drive in as well. is that a smart move??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took the computer to my local apple expert and he diagnosed a bad airport card...whew!!:) but while im in there im gonna max out the ram and put a 350gb 7200rpm hard drive in as well. is that a smart move??

Good to hear that it is the airport card.:)

Who is your local Mac expert (Apple Store??)...and where are you buying the ram? I sure hope not at the Apple Store!!!

Earlier you mentioned that you were going to sell this computer. To me it makes no sense to upgrade a computers ram & hard drive...and then sell it. You won't get back what you put into it.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
No, its not the apple store lol.. its a local computer repair buisness that specializes in apple products...certified/registered....If all goes well i might just keep it and give it to my wife for photo editing, and buy myself a new one with income tax money

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, its not the apple store lol.. its a local computer repair buisness that specializes in apple products...certified/registered....If all goes well i might just keep it and give it to my wife for photo editing, and buy myself a new one with income tax money

If you're going to keep the 17" laptop...then sure...upgrade away!:)...just don't pay Apple prices for the upgrades!;)

Please let us know how the airport card replacement goes...and how difficult/easy the replacement procedure was.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I am gonna have the professional do it since he is doing the hard drive as well and the ram

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am gonna have the professional do it since he is doing the hard drive as well and the ram

You WIMP...just kidding!;)

I was looking forward to hearing how the "self-install" went!:)

I bet the "professional" install is going to cost a bunch more money...because replacing the airport card in your Macbook Pro is not a simple procedure. It's actually a moderately complex (time consuming)...install.

And if it is costly...that's going to cut into the advantages for you trading your old Macbook for this 17" Macbook Pro in the first place.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I read up on the install.....and thats why i decided to go the professional way...he is gonna charge me 50 for the install of everything because i am buying all the pieces from him and i have done tons of buisness with him in the past. very reliable guy. might opt out on the HD for now, because funds are low lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.