"adobe will stop supporting flash player"

Reaction score
I'm getting a message from Adobe that I should uninstall flash player. I have a feeling that, if I do this, I will not be able to stream the local news tv show, watch youtube videos or use all of the functions on my banking site, to name some examples of things that I do all the time.

I'm a dummy. What do I do?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Uninstall it. Most sites have moved on from Flash anyway. I took it off about a year ago and I've yet to hit a site that doesn't work in Safari.

OP
M
Reaction score
@Jake: Thanks, Jake. Those directions are simple enough for me to understand. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Marrk:

Use the uninstall routine from Adobe. In other words, let Adobe do it. That will remove all the Flash crud that exists on your hard drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
@chscag: Got it. They sent me a pop-up. I hit "Remind Me Later" so I could check with you guys first. When it comes around again, I'll hit "Uninstall."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't click on anything you get sent to you. Never know what it may do, and it may have come from a bad actor. Just open the System Preferences, find the Flash pane and delete from there. There may also be an Adobe folder in Utilities or Applications that has an uninstaller.

Just don't click on anything that pops up. Might be valid, might not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There should be no problem with the message provided it's from Adobe. However, if you wish to be cautious as Jake has indicated, you can delete Flash from System Preferences.

The only problem with doing that is it leaves Adobe crud all over your system. I found many Adobe files by using EasyFind. And that was after removing Flash.

(There is no Adobe uninstaller included with Flash.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Utilities in OS has a Flash Manager. This came up:

Flash.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is probably safe. Make a backup before you click "Uninstall."

Reaction score
I'm getting a message from Adobe that I should uninstall flash player. I have a feeling that, if I do this, I will not be able to ...

Flash will cease to exist at the end of this month. It won't work in future updates of any Web browsers. All Web sites will have to move to a different technology to display animation and video.

You can safely and completely uninstall Flash using this uninstaller that you can download directly from Adobe:

The following applications rely on Flash. So (if you haven't already) you either need to upgrade to a version of these apps designed not to work with Flash, or you will need to find a substitute app that doesn't use Flash:

Adobe Creative Suite
Charles Schwab investment's "Street Smart" software
Callpod Keeper
Stanza
GraphicConverter
Evernote
Minecraft
Runescape
The Mac version of the online backup service CrashPlan
FreeMind
XmindGantt
Vuze
PolarBar Mailer
Dreamweaver
Cyberduck
OmniPage Pro
Jaikoz
PDF OCR X
MAMP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.