Adobe flash player install problem

Reaction score
Please help!

I am trying to update my adobe flash player as it is apparently out of date. I am using an iMac, running OSX 10.9.5.

I can download the installer (.dmg) and click on it in downloads but the Adobe Flashplayer Installer window that opens up has no icon to click on (usually titled 'click to install'

I have read every trouble shooting site, every discussion, uninstalled flash player completely and attempted a so called clean install as recommended by Adobe, but..........no luck.

Any advice?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What anti-virus, firewall and/or other such app do you have installed?

OP
T
Reaction score
Adobe flash player

I have never installed anything for antivirus or firewall etc since buying my iMac. I have not had any trouble with the regular updates of adobe previously however, recently I had to download something (wish I could remember what) and some changes occurred to my internet browser appearance (e.g. home page) and I now note that Bing is installed.

I have checked that I am allowing downloads from non apple sources and that cookies are enabled etc.

I have literally spent hours on this, reading forums and the like, it is driving me crazy!!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The fact that changes were made to the home page and search engine suggest that you might have picked up some adware as part of whatever you downloaded. Did you by chance download it from the CNET Download.com or Softronic sites?

1. If you are using Safari check Preferences>Extensions to see which extensions are installed.
2. If there is anything there that you don't recognize download and run adwaremedic

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys I found it. I had somehow downloaded and installed something called macbooster 2. I am not sure what it did to affect the adobe but as soon as I uninstalled it I had no further problems.

It is some sort of system performance enhancing app, supposedly. I do think it was a game adware.

The only safari extension is called Omnibar, should I get rid of this with adwaremedic?

So glad to have that one sorted.

Thanks again guys.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
From what I read here I think the Internet Security options were treating it as though it were malware/viral activity. If that's the case it would have prevented installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Please help!

I am trying to update my adobe flash player as it is apparently out of date. I am using an iMac, running OSX 10.9.5.

I can download the installer (.dmg) and click on it in downloads but the Adobe Flashplayer Installer window that opens up has no icon to click on (usually titled 'click to install'

I have read every trouble shooting site, every discussion, uninstalled flash player completely and attempted a so called clean install as recommended by Adobe, but..........no luck.

Any advice?

After you open the update installer and it opens up in its little window, have you clicked to add a check on the tiny and often almost invisible grey on grey check box that you agree etc.??

Once that checkbox is checked, you should see the Intall button appear like a Cheshire cat. Click it to start the install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.