AdGuard for Safari problems

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is an FYI for users of the free AdGuard for Safari App.
Recently I had been having issues with AdGuard launching at startup (without launching Safari) despite that option being switched off in AdGuard preferences and not in Login Items in system prefs. Also it was blocking shut down or restart becoming "Unresponsive" and requiring Force Quit.
I uninstalled the app and reinstalled from the app store to no avail, the same problems occurred.
So I contacted the developers and after a few days received a response requesting a copy of the log file which I forwarded. The next day I received a reply with the suggestion I update to the new version. There was included a link to a page with details about the update and a list of bugs fixed plus a link to the update. See below;
The explanatory page covered all of the issues I was experiencing and the update link downloaded a .zip containing a new version.
Note: This updated version is not yet on the App Store
Just as an advisory note here, this is a completely new version so like me you will need to uninstall the previous version before expanding the .zip file.
All my issues were fixed and this app continues to be a great addition to the security of safari for me.
AdGuard for Safari Extension version 1.7.1 | AdGuard Forum

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Addit; Uninstallation of AdGuard requires the removal of some 40 seperate elements but is easily done using Find Any File to locate anything with adguard in the title then trashing all from the FAF UI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Rod, how did you know AdGuard was launching at startup? I only restart once a week, and I haven't noticed this? I am using AdGuard 1.6.4, and I don't enable any of the content blockers (AdBlock, AdGuard or Ghostery) Safari icons, as only the icons require permission to access everything, but all the other "content blockers extension options" do not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.