Additional HD for Mac Pro Slot 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5,1, Yosemite, Quad Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2 x 2TB + 1 x 4TB HDDs, 8GB ECC RAM, ATI Radeon 5770
I am considering adding a third HD to my Mac Pro 5,1. I am looking at a WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK SERIES WD4003FZEX 4TB. It will be used for storage of docs, pictures and video files some of which are be around 30GB or more in size. I can get one for about $200. It is 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache Sata 6.0Gb/s 3.5” and comes with a 5 year limited warranty. Does any member have an opinion on the use of WD Black Series drives installed in their Macs?

I have had good luck with WD drives and I cannot remember a time in decades when one has failed. I hope I did not just jinx one of them. I have retired a few smaller ones due solely to size limitations.

Up to this point, I have been keeping the bulk of my files (not currently needed) on external HDs, but when I need to edit them they can seem to take forever to copy back to my second internal HD. With the third internal HD installed, the external drives will be used for backup purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Peter B.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am considering adding a third HD to my Mac Pro 5,1. I am looking at a WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK SERIES WD4003FZEX 4TB. It will be used for storage of docs, pictures and video files some of which are be around 30GB or more in size. I can get one for about $200. It is 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache Sata 6.0Gb/s 3.5” and comes with a 5 year limited warranty. Does any member have an opinion on the use of WD Black Series drives installed in their Macs?

Go for it! WD drives are fine. And the "black" version is better quality.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5,1, Yosemite, Quad Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2 x 2TB + 1 x 4TB HDDs, 8GB ECC RAM, ATI Radeon 5770
Go for it! WD drives are fine. And the "black" version is better quality.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick, I will pull the trigger today on this.

When I physically install it and light off the Mac Pro, will the Mac ask me if I want to format it for the Mac or do I do this manually, for want of a better term?

I am a recent migrant to Macs, but still use my Windows machines and will continue to do so for quite a while...lots of cash invested. When they reach end of life I will most likely not replace them with Windows machines. Unless there is a really compelling reason to do so.

Peter B.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I physically install it and light off the Mac Pro, will the Mac ask me if I want to format it for the Mac or do I do this manually, for want of a better term?

The Mac OS should ask you about the formatting of the new HD the first time you boot the computer after the HD install. If it doesn't…just use Disk Utility to format it (Mac OS Extended Journaled).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac OS should ask you about the formatting of the new HD the first time you boot the computer after the HD install. If it doesn't…just use Disk Utility to format it (Mac OS Extended Journaled).

- Nick

Thanks Nick,

I should have known it would be easy, unlike Windows in many cases. Any time I need a file or two back on a Windows machine, I can just copy them.

I pulled the trigger just now on the drive, got 2 year data recovery with it in addition to the 5 year warranty.

Peter B.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal & good luck!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal & good luck!:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick,

I will let you know how I make out. The drive should be here early next week.

Peter B.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.