Adding DRAM - is cheapest a good idea?

Reaction score
My iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 currently has only 4Gb DRAM and is running very slow - see other post under "Desktops". I presume increasing the RAM to 8Gb/12Gb etc would help the issue but it's quite expensive (for a pensioner!). Is it a good idea to go cheapest and where can I (have you) found it please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 currently has only 4Gb DRAM and is running very slow - see other post under "Desktops". I presume increasing the RAM to 8Gb/12Gb etc would help the issue but it's quite expensive (for a pensioner!). Is it a good idea to go cheapest and where can I (have you) found it please?

Well, I bet you already know the answer to the statement above in bold?

Many of the 'hardware' gurus here recommend Other World Computing (link to your model year) - below from the linked page of prices for RAM - 4 GB is about $50 only - give them a call to make sure you obtain the exact memory needed. Dave :)

P.S. Of course, there may be other reasons for the iMac running 'very slow'?

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 12.33.20 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 currently has only 4Gb DRAM and is running very slow - see other post under "Desktops".

It always makes it easier for folks if you include a link to the other thread in this thread.:) Also...if this thread is related to the other thread...why not just continue this conversation in the other thread?:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
It always makes it easier for folks if you include a link to the other thread in this thread.:) Also...if this thread is related to the other thread...why not just continue this conversation in the other thread?:)

- Nick
Sorry, should have done that...........
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/316900-imac-sooooo-slow.html

This is about the best I can find for "new" ram.http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/imac-%2821*5-and-27-inch%2C-mid-2011%29/CT3327614

There are several "seller refurbished (whatever that means)" available on Ebay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Keep away from second hand memory which is what 'seller refurbished' means.

OWC or Crucial recommended here so the Crucial link should be fine if it is the correct memory, and it is!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OWC or Crucial recommended here so the Crucial link should be fine if it is the correct memory, and it is!

Nick & Harry - these recommendations have come up often, i.e. OWC & Crucial - is there a difference where these 'companies' are located (e.g. USA and/or Europe) and or in the products & prices offered? Just curious when one should recommend looking at one vs. the over? Thanks. Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks harry - looks like Crucial get my money!!! Just hope it helps with the speed. As I said in the other thread, I've checked the HD via the utility provided and run OnyX several times and they both say there are no problems. Nothing clogging up the "start-up" so can't think of any other checks I can make.
I currently have $Gb ram, can I add two more 4Gb making a total of 12 or should I keep them in "pairs" i.e. either go up to * or 16 (expensive!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I have the same computer. I doubled the RAM to 8, but it made absolutely no (noticeable) difference. I'm not a tab freak, so that's possibly why.
It was not slow at 4.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have the same computer. I doubled the RAM to 8, but it made absolutely no (noticeable) difference. I'm not a tab freak, so that's possibly why.
It was not slow at 4.

Whether someone notices a difference between 4 GB and 8 GB or more depends heavily on the tasks they are doing, software used, and how they use their machines. Having many programs open at once or running memory intensive tasks can definitely affect speed.

@OP
Here's one idea that may give some insight into whether additional memory will be helpful:
1. Reboot the Mac so you are starting with a clean slate so to speak.
2. Launch Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities) and click on the "Memory" tab.
3. Leave Activity Monitor open but go about business as usual on your Mac (launch programs / perform tasks that usually result in beachballs)
4. When the beachballs hit the point of being noticeable / annoying click back to Activity Monitor and look at the numbers at the bottom of the memory pane (especially the swap numbers). Let us know the results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Is it a good idea to go cheapest and where can I (have you) found it please?

RAM memory is a "commodity." Apple buys it that way, so do I.
I study the exact RAM specs, so I know what I'm looking for. And I use the "RAM finder" that nearly every RAM dealer offers.
Then I compare prices and buy the best deal. I've never had an issue with RAM purchased this way. I've heard of many issues, and it always comes down to "not knowing the specs that the specific computer needs." This isn't rocket science.
Some places to compare:
macsales.com (called OWC)
crucial.com
newegg.com
macmemory.com
18004memory.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Dave Down Under, OWC comes in much, much cheaper than local suppliers, even their own agents. This includes adding US Air Postage and receipt is within 7 days. That is quicker than Apple resellers can mail it to me in my own State!

In Mac Pro 2.1 days had two faulty memory modules, and OWC replaced these withing seven days f.o.c. and that included air mail. Personally that satisfied with OWC never tried Crucial so can make no comment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.