Adding custom Ringtones to iPhone thru' Ventura

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Background:
For many years I have had my own custom ringtones, and moving to iPhone, I found using iTunes on Windows, I could continue as long as they were in AAC format with a .m4r extension.

Current situation:
After moving to my Mini, and using migration assistant to move my data, I connected my iPhone to sync, however got a warning that this would overwrite my current music, as the phone can only sync to one device, at that point I paused to evaluate the situation.

Issue:
First: I am sure in iTunes you could determine which way to sync, or even a hybred, this is not available, so after ensuring, I was content I synced my phone, however, I found that one of my ringtones was missing.
Second: Music on the face of it looks a lot like iTunes, but when you use it, it is different. So going to MacWorld I gleaned this:

How to load the ringtone from the Mac to your iPhone
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac via USB.
2. Open a Finder window (press Command-N).
3. In the sidebar under Locations, you should find your iPhone. Select it.
4. Find your ringtone file (the one with the .m4r extension), and drag it over to the Finder window that has your iPhone selected.
AD

5. A green “+” icon should appear on your cursor and the file that you are dragging. That means you will be adding it to your iPhone. Drop the file to install it.

ringtone mac to iPhone

And that’s it! To see the ringtone, open the Setting app on your iPhone, then tap Sound & Haptics > Ringtone, and it will appear at the top of the list with other custom ringtones (if you have others).

I followed it to the letter, and even get the "+" sign, only it doesn't work. I have checked the file, even created a new one, I have put it in my music library, tried a number of times, and the new ringtone does not appear on my phone.
Please can you help, am I missing something that is not in the instructions.
Apple - Please bring back Tones in Music :)

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whilst searching I have found a method via Garage Band, if you follow the link below and and go to:

How Can I Put Ringtones on My iPhone Without iTunes or Music?​

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a ton of custom ringtones on my iPhone and have never used Garage Band to make them or get them on there. I have been rather baffled over how one would add new ones since Apple got rid of iTunes... there no longer is a Tones category in Music, nor the Finder interface for syncing. Reading over that Lifewire article... it's all so convoluted now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's a better walkthrough on how to add custom ringtones to an iPhone from macOS Catalina and later. Not obvious by any stretch of the imagination.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a better walkthrough on how to add custom ringtones to an iPhone from macOS Catalina and later. Not obvious by any stretch of the imagination.

Yep, almost identical to what is in MacWorld (post #1), tried that as well line by line, and it didn't work.

KylieSimmons

Reaction score
Thank you for the instructions. But for some reason it doesn't work for me. It takes a long time to load, and then the page refreshes and nothing happens.

KylieSimmons

Reaction score
Background:
For many years I have had my own custom ringtones, and moving to iPhone, I found using iTunes on Windows, I could continue as long as they were in AAC format with a .m4r extension.

Current situation:
After moving to my Mini, and using migration assistant to move my data, I connected my iPhone to sync, however got a warning that this would overwrite my current music, as the phone can only sync to one device, at that point I paused to evaluate the situation.

Issue:
First: I am sure in iTunes you could determine which way to sync, or even a hybred, this is not available, so after ensuring, I was content I synced my phone, however, I found that one of my ringtones was missing.
Second: Music on the face of it looks a lot like iTunes, but when you buy spotify plays, it is different. So going to MacWorld I gleaned this:

How to load the ringtone from the Mac to your iPhone
1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac via USB.
2. Open a Finder window (press Command-N).
3. In the sidebar under Locations, you should find your iPhone. Select it.
4. Find your ringtone file (the one with the .m4r extension), and drag it over to the Finder window that has your iPhone selected.
AD

5. A green “+” icon should appear on your cursor and the file that you are dragging. That means you will be adding it to your iPhone. Drop the file to install it.

ringtone mac to iPhone

And that’s it! To see the ringtone, open the Setting app on your iPhone, then tap Sound & Haptics > Ringtone, and it will appear at the top of the list with other custom ringtones (if you have others).

I followed it to the letter, and even get the "+" sign, only it doesn't work. I have checked the file, even created a new one, I have put it in my music library, tried a number of times, and the new ringtone does not appear on my phone.
Please can you help, am I missing something that is not in the instructions.
Apple - Please bring back Tones in Music :)
Could it be that I have an outdated version of iphone and therefore cannot download the desired ringtone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.