Adding an NAS to Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current Hardware in the stable: iMac 24", Time Capsule, iPod Classic, iPhone G1.
Greetings!

If this has been answered or discussed before, my apologies in advance.

Just purchased a Time Capsule. Connected to my iMac (OS X Leopard) just fine and all is well with it. In fact, my laptop (windoze) and my iPhone is able to use the TC as the router.

Now the difficulty. I have an older (1 year maybe) Maxtor (Shared Storage II) NAS. It was visible (read and write capability) on the network before with my old router, but after connecting my TC, and plugging in my old NAS via Ethernet, I cannot find a way to access it. I've tried "Go to Folder" and Connect to Server", but to no avail. I've looked at some of the IP addresses, but that's where I fall down. I don't know what I don't know. You see, when it was plugged in to my old router, it had an IP address of 192.168.2.10, but now when I try that address it doesn't bring anything up but a failure window. Pinging doesn't help. 100% packet loss. I have looked at many settings; network, airport, network util, sharing, but not sure what to change or try.

That said, my questions...

Does the TC support an additional NAS? If so, how does one configure it? I have noticed that the green com light on the Maxtor flashes occasionally. This must mean some sort of connectivity, yes?

On this Maxtor drive are all my documents from all my other machines. It would be handy to have this back so I could access it when necessary.

Any help would be extremely helpful.

Regards,
Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
The problem you are running into is that was the old address for your old router. TC uses a difference scheme by default (10.x.x.x). If you use the Airport Utility you can connect and see what it's using. Then attempt to find your NAS device with ping or something. I'm new to my TC still as well, but as far as I can see, it's lacking in the standard router utilities to see what IP's it's handed out and such.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Current Hardware in the stable: iMac 24", Time Capsule, iPod Classic, iPhone G1.
The problem you are running into is that was the old address for your old router. TC uses a difference scheme by default (10.x.x.x). If you use the Airport Utility you can connect and see what it's using. Then attempt to find your NAS device with ping or something. I'm new to my TC still as well, but as far as I can see, it's lacking in the standard router utilities to see what IP's it's handed out and such.

Ok, that makes some sense as I did see a few 10.x.x.x IP addresses. In fact, I tried pinging each 10.x.x.1 address one at time last night (I don't recall the middle two numbers right now as I'm at work), and got to 10.x.x.25 then gave up. Likely there's a way to find the NAS and now knowing it's on a 10.x.x.x scheme, I'm at least a step closer. Thanks for your help!

So how does one ping the subnet to find my NAS? (sorry if my terminology is wrong). Though I'm not a newb to computers, I am limited in my networking knowledge.

Thanks again.
Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well if you look at your own IP address, plus what the range is set to for your TC, you can probably guess a few around you. You could also take a look at an IP Scanner, although I don't know of any personally for OS X, Google brought up a few like this one: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15326

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Thyamine! I was able to find the IP addy for the Maxtor NAS, however, when I use Go>Connect to Server in Finder, i get a -36 error code which is "I/O error (bummers)". Really, the tech doc has "(bummers)" written next to -36!

Ok, so it won't connect, but I can ping it. I know I'm getting ever so close!

Thanks again.

Michael.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, got it!

Here's the rundown...

Found this; http://www.macworld.com/article/53277/2006/10/pingfind.html and read it, but basically only used one command and matched the output result to the MAC Address on the Maxtor NAS. That command (used in terminal) is "arp -an" and is also listed in the comments section under the above linked article.

Once I figured I should use "smb://10.0.x.1xx" and not just the IP address in Go>Connect to Server, the NAS spun up and connected.

All is good! Thanks for the help!

Michael.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it worked ok until I mapped my Vista Laptop to the NAS. Arrgh!

Now command "arp -an" in Terminal returns no IP address or MAC address for the device...

When I ping it, it returns the following...

PING 10.0.x.1xx (10.0.x.1xx): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: Host is down
^C
--- 10.0.x.1xx ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Any ideas as to what setting to change and where I might find it?

Thanks again!

Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are you sure the device is connected to the network ?

Can you ping it from other machines? etc

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it's connected to the network.

Didn't ping it from the other machine, but my wife just mapped it with her account on the same laptop.

So, if it can be mapped from Windoze, likely it can be pinged from there as well.

hmmm...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I shut dow the Vista laptop, removed the workgroup name from the Time Capsule and then tried again to reconnect the NAS. Won't connect. When I do the "arp -an" in Terminal, I get a list of IP addresses, including;

"? (10.0.x.1xx) at (incomplete) on en0 [ethernet]"

Which I believe to be my NAS. Where "(incomplete)" is, the MAC address used to be and is there for other devices connected to then network.

Not sure what changed, since I set everything back the way it was before mapping the drive on my Windoze machine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again.
Michael.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rebooted the NAS, pinged 10.0.1.255, which gave me a list of all the IP addresses in use, so I did the "arp -an" thing and there was the MAC address for the NAS. The old IP address was no longer there for the NAS, but a new one. What the...? Anyway, it connected after using the new found address.

So, my questions for a guru...

Is it possible Windoze (or the TC) changed the IP address of the NAS? If so, how? Maybe when I changed the "Workgroup" name? Should I use a static address for my NAS? And can I use a static address for one device and not the others?

Ultimately I want to access this drive from both machines just like I did before I installed my Time Capsule. That's the only thing that's changed and it worked fine before between OS's.

Thanks for the help...

Michael.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.