Add a second drive to Macbook Pro....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I have a MackBook Pro with Retina display from late 2013. model number 11,1. It currently has a 250GB Apple SSD SM0256F that I don't intend to replace. The MBP does not have a CD/DVD player.

Is there a way to add a second drive to this MBP? I've searched for procedures how to do that, but they seem to stop at early 2013 models.

I did replace/add drives on earlier than 2013 MBPs and do have the tools for that.

TIA...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way that I know of. OWC sells the kit for earlier model MacBook Pros but those all have a removable optical drive. Why not replace the 250GB SSD with a larger one sold by OWC? I know you said you don't intend to replace it but that might be a solution if you need more drive space.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thank you for your help...

I was afraid you'd say that... :( And yes, OWC is an option, but I am not willing pay that much for a 480GBs card. The one TBs PCIe card from Samsung is a much better deal for about the same price. Not to mention the 4-5 times faster transfer rate, when compared to OWC card. Even that, I wouldn't put in a four years old MBP that still have about 35% of the drive free.

The reason I've asked is that there are two Samsung 850 EVOs on my desk and trying to find a home for them. All of my Windows desktops/laptops have SSDs by now and my main Windows box does not have an open SATA 3 port. Oh well, I'll just get some external USB/eSATA case and used them as back storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just be careful that model MBP at one stage only the OWC Flash Storage would work with that model, but that may have changed. EVO's are not known for working nice with Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.