Ad Blocking

Reaction score
I have the new iMac. I have tried both AdGuard and AdBlockPlus but neither will block ads, particularly on Youtube. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, and restarting the computer but nothing seems to work. Can anyone offer any solutions please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
The ads on YouTube pay the provider of the videos for their content. If you do not want to watch YouTube videos feel free to block the ads.

Reaction score
I have the new iMac. I have tried both AdGuard and AdBlockPlus but neither will block ads, particularly on Youtube. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, and restarting the computer but nothing seems to work. Can anyone offer any solutions please?

Regular browser ad blockers don't work with YouTube. Enhancer For YouTube works, and it works well. It adds several other really nice features (such as controlling speed of playback), and it's FREE!

To use it, you will need a Web browser that is based on Chromium. I highly recommend this FREE Web browser. It blocks ads (but not on YouTube without Enhancer for YouTube) without the need for additional software, it blocks trackers and other nasties, and it's just a really enjoyable browser:

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks , but am really looking for alternatives to the two I mentioned. Not sure about the Brave Browser, but will check it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks , but am really looking for alternatives to the two I mentioned. Not sure about the Brave Browser, but will check it out.

As Randy stated above, ad blockers do not work for YouTube. You need something else which works differently and from your browser directly.

Brave is a good browser to use and additionally keeps your privacy intact. No tracking and is as fast or faster than Google Chrome.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I hear and endorse what previous posters have said; but I have to state that I never get ads on YouTube and the only ad-blocker I use is the paid-for version of AdGuard. I was fortunate enough to have got a lifetime license not long after it was released. Now, as far as I know, it is subscription based.

There may be free versions of this, I know not, but the paid-for version eliminates all the ads from the channels I watch on YouTube. It could be that I am too selective in what I watch and that others with more diversified interests may not benefit from AdGuard.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I use U Block Origin on Firefox and get no ad issues with YouTube

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
BigSky52, your reply to Randy in post #4 re looking for alternatives to the two you mentioned I assume refer to AdGuard and AdBlock Plus. Are you using these two extensions with Safari browser? If so the choices are a bit limited. Safari is not a Chromium based browser so some Ad Blocking extensions are not compatible.
What Randy was suggesting, Brave browser blocks many ads and prevents tracking straight out of the box with no extensions required. For YouTube however you need the big guns of an extension like Enhancer for YouTube. PS with Brave you do not need to subscribe to their "responsible ads" BAT program. It's a choice thing and up to you.
Vivaldi is another Chromium based browser with similar blocking caperbilities and as mentioned Firefox is much improved these days. They're all worth trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I have AdGuard for Mac and it blocks ads in YouTube just fine. Are you sure you have it running on startup and its assistant enabled in Safari's extensions section of the preferences? AdGuard has two products: AdGuard for Mac and AdGuard Browser Extension. AdGuard for Mac isn't free, but it is highly effective. The browser extension is free, but works very poorly for Safari today, thanks to changes Apple started making a couple years ago.

AdGuard — World's most advanced adblocker!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I found AdGuard extension for Safari to be pretty good too, although I didn't really test it on YouTube. Not as good as Brave browser "out of the box" though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
I was advised by a member to use Brave and I like it. Also have Ad Blocker and Adblock VPN on a 2017 27" iMac and they work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB

I never see ads on YouTube - I'm using Firefox! Also check out Quiet Tube

Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses. Think I am going to try Brave.
I've been using Brave and it works great. Out of the box it has some things I don't like, but once you get it set up, it is the best browser that I've used, especially for privacy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Reaction score
I was in the 1M breach at FB. I got hacked and Google was not helpful. I have been all Google software off my Mac.
I went to Brave for the web browser and it is Chromium based.; and Duckduckgo for the internet search engine. The attached photo says it all. Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 9.40.05 AM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
agree, Brave is a great browser, I'm writing this on the iOS version which I find works very well in conjunction with Spark, my email app.
I have tried a few alternatives but little things like how well the browser opens email links add up and Brave does this better than most. App switching also works well where Brave opens a link then switches to the appropriate app eg. Facebook. The only shortfall is that the versions do not sync across devices (yet?).
I have begun to question the value of this feature anyway. Apple's Handoff feature is good and subscription and data are protected by 2FA but I'm not sure if want to trust that data to a third party subscription. Bookmarks would be convenient but beyond that? Well, it's just another security risk.

As for DuckDuck Go as a search engine, it does what it says, it doesn't track your searches which is a big advantage over Bing and Google etc. but be aware that adverts in your search results may.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. In the end I went for Vivaldi and DuckDuckGo and all is well. Or it would be if my mouse cursor hadn’t just frozen !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.