Activation lock on macbook air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My dear community, I am in deep trouble with an issue that has been lingering from last few days. Apparently I purchased a macbook air recently from a person in my city who is now not reachable but before handing over to me, he didn't reset to factory settings. After finding that his ID's are still intact, I texted him and he responded quite well to try to reset. Unfortunately the mac is now on activation lock due to multiple wrong passwords from him. He is now not reachable for unknown reasons. I have his detailed chat that shows he sold the laptop and can i show this at an apple store and have them force reset so that i can install a fresh OS and use it?? pls help

PS: This is not a stolen laptop from him nor he stole from someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PS: This is not a stolen laptop from him nor he stole from someone.

How do you know that? Have you seen the original sales receipt?

I still need his details. That stupid idiot is seeing my messages but not responding. Not sure what to do. Where can i give a complaint?

All the more reason to be suspicious. Since this was a private sale, your only recourse is to deal with the person who sold you the MacBook Air.

OP
A
Reaction score
How do you know that? Have you seen the original sales receipt?

I didn't see the sales receipt but I did saw him managing the laptop with his apple id and password.

All the more reason to be suspicious. Since this was a private sale, your only recourse is to deal with the person who sold you the MacBook Air.

can i file a compliant on that man in the nearest police station?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm truly sorry that you are having to go through this. It's very difficult to reconcile a private sale that did not turn out right. Unless you used your credit card or PayPal to purchase the MacBook Air, getting a refund is up to the seller.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm truly sorry that you are having to go through this. It's very difficult to reconcile a private sale that did not turn out right. Unless you used your credit card or PayPal to purchase the MacBook Air, getting a refund is up to the seller.
Any other help? do the people at apple store consider the chats of the sale? if not, I do have his facebook profile and can file a compliant in a police station or any other place? This is seriously insane on his part.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple has nothing to do with the sale. I'm afraid you're on your own as far as the sale goes.

We can't advise you what to do. Hopefully you can get this taken care of.

Also, as this is not really in the realm of subjects for our forums, we are closing this thread.

You're welcome to post on other questions that you may have in the future.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.