Accessing password list

Reaction score
I have two iMAcs. I'm in the process of setting up the second one. I want the second one to use a particular password that already exists on and is accessed by a bookmark on the other, older one (I plan to create the same bookmark on the second one). I've forgotten that password. How do I/can I access the list of my past and current paswords for the older iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Passwords for what? Safari? Website? Application? Bank? What?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm going to assume you have the current macOS (Operating System) because you didn't mention it.
In macOS Catalina 10.15.7 you need go to; Safari Preferences > Passwords Tab > Enter your Admin Password > You will see a list of all your stored passwords > scroll down to the appropriate web site/ user name or use the search box > Click on the line and the password will be revealed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for such a fast response.

I forgot to say that I use Firefox. It seems to have a similar function to what you describe for Safari, but it sounds as though only mobiles etc are supported, not desktops. I'm hoping that I simply haven't found what I need though.

Yes, I do use Catalina -- upgraded fr Mohave a week or two ago (and shall post w some questions later re side effects fr that), so my O/S version is prob the latest. The iMacs are

o 2011 -- mid yr (El Capitan, 10.11.6)
o 2017 -- it's in a diff building fr where I am, but I cd give more info later

The passwd is for banking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On the latest Firefox, open Preferences (Click on Firefox on top left corner, the Preferences). Find the "Privacy & Security" section, scroll down to "Logins and Passwords" and look or search for your account.

BTW, it's NOT a bookmark, but a stored password. Two different things entirely.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I suppose celebrateoften means he opens has bank site from a bookmark and his user name and password are filled by the app but yes, they are different things.
Personally I would not reccomend having such sensitive information stored in a browser.
Celebrateoften have you considered using a password manager? Not only is it much safer it would have prevented the problem you have from happening because all your passwords would be available on any of your devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The passwd is for banking.

Just as a bit of information: Some banking institutions do not allow the saving of a password to access the account. The user name can usually be stored okay. Not every bank has that policy, but some do.

Others have instituted 2FA for accessing your account. That's a good thing by the way.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By app I was referring to Firefox. It will offer to save password and username unless you click "Never" in the first instance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.