Accessing Macbook Air and Windows 7 PC on Same Network

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my Snow Leopard Macbook Air and my Windows 7 PC to play nice on my network. This means both computers seeing each other. Now I know I can access a mac formatted drive on Windows via MacDrive, but I don't know about the other way around, and I don't know about reading a writing to either over a network.

I've tried many methods including something in the windows security settings all of which have claims to work. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
All I can do is Ping my MAC from my Windows PC. I have been able to do this in the past for a friend but that was with XP and a older version of OSX I want to say, 4 years ago. I am new to the Mac so you may have to spell things out for me, what is the Remote Disc?

I am using Windows 7 64bit Professional.

Reaction score
Assuming you have sharing enabled, discovery on, etc. in Windows 7, from your Mac Finder you can select "Go" -> "Connect to Server...". Type in smb://192.168.1.5 (or whatever your PC's IP is) and click "Connect." You'll need to enter your Windows 7 logon credentials at this point to connect. You should then see your PC's IP listed under "Shares" on the left part of any Finder folder window.

As far as Remote Disc, that is still a battle I'm fighting, haven't gotten it to work yet. I can mount a PC optical drive in a share, but that doesn't allow remote booting like Remote Disc does... <sigh>. If I do find out, I'll post back here.

I'm wondering if it's a 64-bit issue, since I didn't have this problem before with Vista 32-bit and I can't find a single good post about this problem with Windows 7.

Reaction score
Fixed it!!!

I was able to fix my own problem with Remote Disc using this fix, it may cure your ails as well??

I finally found the solution here: Windows 7 and Mac OS X Sharing

These are steps for Vista, but work for Windows 7 as well:
1. In Vista, open the Control Panel
2. Switch to "Classic" view
3. Double-click Administration Tools
4. Double-click Local Security Policy
5. Or Secpol.msc
6. Expand "Local Policies" and select "Security Options"
7. Alternate : Type secpol.msc to get editor up then
8. Locate "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" in the list and double-click it.
9. Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated"
10. Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based (including secure RPC) Clients
11. Change the setting from "require 128 bit" to unchecked (No Minimum)
12. Click OK

I can now see my Dell's optical drive through Remote Disk from my MacBook Air!!!
I hope this helps someone else who's having the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I was able to fix my own problem with Remote Disc using this fix, it may cure your ails as well??

I finally found the solution here: Windows 7 and Mac OS X Sharing

These are steps for Vista, but work for Windows 7 as well:
1. In Vista, open the Control Panel
2. Switch to "Classic" view
3. Double-click Administration Tools
4. Double-click Local Security Policy
5. Or Secpol.msc
6. Expand "Local Policies" and select "Security Options"
7. Alternate : Type secpol.msc to get editor up then
8. Locate "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" in the list and double-click it.
9. Change the setting from "Send NTMLv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session if negotiated"
10. Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP Based (including secure RPC) Clients
11. Change the setting from "require 128 bit" to unchecked (No Minimum)
12. Click OK

I can now see my Dell's optical drive through Remote Disk from my MacBook Air!!!
I hope this helps someone else who's having the same problem.

FYI:
You will need to be an administrator to open the Local Security Policy Editor.
The Local Security Group Policy Editor will only be available in the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterpise editions.
You will not have the Local Security Policy Editor available in the Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium editions.

I have WIndows 7 Home Premium :Angry:

A

AntonK

Same problem, but

In my case is solved a problem, not detected in explorer. MacBook is now shown. Now I am faced to give Networkaccount and password. The public files in the Macbook are shared and it connected with the server etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.