a question about applications

Reaction score
hello, im a new mac user and i was wanting to know if its safe to move system applications such as preview and dashboard into subfolders in my applications folder to make things look nicer. will this cause any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Should be fine. I moved both the ones you mentioned and tried them. Both worked.

I'm betting that System Preferences would refuse the invitation for a different apartment, in case you've thoughts of moving it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is a down side to this that you need to be aware of. Some applications do not like to be moved. If you movie iTunes, for example, to a new location, the Software update feature will not find it when there is a new release.

OP
K
Reaction score
the only BIG apps that i moved were the iLife Apps like garageband imovie iphoto and idvd into a folder called ilife and then i moved textedit, dictionary automator, preview and dashboard into an accessories folder

i really did not like having to scroll the applications menu in the dock because i have it set to list

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you thought about using a program launcher such as Overflow - Application and document launcher for Mac OS X - Stunt Software. This would cut down on scrolling through the list of applications and makes moving them unnecessary.

I am going to try creating Smart Folders for each of the types of apps I use and using those as launchers. It will mean tagging apps with Spotlight comments but I want to see how well it would work.

BTW just in case you're interested I think all of the iLife apps as well as one or two others that you moved won't be seen by Software Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
the only BIG apps that i moved were the iLife Apps like garageband imovie iphoto and idvd into a folder called ilife ...

I've done a similar thing, sans iPhoto, because I actually use it occasionally. I've also moved stuff to an iWork folder, because I don't use those either. If I ever start running out of space, I'll just delete them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.