A Problem with Fonts on Outgoing Messages

Reaction score
I have a very irritating problem with fonts. When I choose a font to use, and then type a message in Mac email client, the message arrives at the destination with the default font. I chose Papyrus as my font, but it never works with outgoing messages. I can see my font as I type. I have tried everything Tech Support chat told me to do, and went to my local Apple store and did what they told me to do also, to no avail. As far as I know, all my settings are correct. I would appreciate any suggestion any may have.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You cannot override the settings the receiver has in their mail application by anything you do on your end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I have a very irritating problem with fonts. When I choose a font to use, and then type a message in Mac email client, the message arrives at the destination with the default font. I chose Papyrus as my font, but it never works with outgoing messages. I can see my font as I type. I have tried everything Tech Support chat told me to do, and went to my local Apple store and did what they told me to do also, to no avail. As far as I know, all my settings are correct. I would appreciate any suggestion any may have.

What happens when you email yourself?

OP
M
Reaction score
A Problem with Fonts in Outing Messages

When emailing myself, the font I chose appears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
OP
M
Reaction score
A Problem with Fonts in Outgoing Messages

I was told yesterday by a Mac person that the reason I am having this problem is that my ISP
server does not have my particular font and so it automatically sends the email in the default
font. Does that sound right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was told yesterday by a Mac person that the reason I am having this problem is that my ISP
server does not have my particular font and so it automatically sends the email in the default
font. Does that sound right?

I don't think it's the ISP. It's the computer on the other end that doesn't recognize the font. For example, MS Word has thousands of fonts. My mail program, only a handful. If you send me an email with an exotic font my computer doesn't recognize, it will default to whatever the default font on my mail program is. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it works, at least it always USED to be that way. The program on the other end may also always default to a specific font. For years I used Comic Sans as my default font, I liked the felt pen look of it, but any time I'd send an email, if it was forwarded back to me in response, it was always the default font of the other person.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's wrong. You were given the correct answer by member "bobtomay". Your ISP server has nothing to do with fonts, operating systems, and so on. They're just traffic cops directing messages.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If that were the case, when you send yourself the email, the font would have been changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.