A message with a verification code has been sent to your devices. Enter the code

Reaction score
This is an annoying message when trying to set Two-Factor Authentication logging in to Manage Your Apple ID using my iMac El Capitan.

How do I get this code if I do NOT have a SMS phone, or another computer.

How to I get the code sent to this iMac?

It seems that I am always using Two-Factor Authentication since Apple forced this for non apple applications on non apple devices.

Why do I keep having to provide this on this iMac when this is the only Mac I perform Two-Factor Authentication from.

Thanks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, if desired, Two-Factor Authentication can be disabled by signing into your Apple ID - check HERE - if not wanting this option, then hopefully other posters will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can you access your e-mail from another computer? ...public library, internet café, etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Does turning off two factor authorization only pertain this iMac.
Or does it apply to all Mac where I access my Manage your Apple ID.
To Me, Apple has really complicated things with this over kill on security.

Do I still have to access app specific password to get apple emails etc to work on non apple devices.

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it applies to all devices associated with a single Apple ID. I agree that it's overkill. Had it on for awhile but finally got tired of its behavior and killed it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think it applies to all devices associated with a single Apple ID. I agree that it's overkill. Had it on for awhile but finally got tired of its behavior and killed it.

Unfortunately, it's mandatory for all new Apple IDs and there is no way to turn it off. I agree that 2FA can be confusing especially for folks new to mobile devices and computers.

OP
R
Reaction score
I did turn it off and it deleted all my App Specific Passwords. So now I have to recreate all those passwords on a bunch of non apple devices that I use.

What a stupid feature!

People need to be aware that if you are using Android, Windows, etc. you need App Specific Passwords and 2FA must be on to use iCloud Mail, Contacts, and Calendars on Non-Apple products

This makes things difficult for people with older OS, IOS's, because 2FA and App Specific Passwords don't work well on OS's before El Capitan.

Only arrogant Apple would mess their customer base.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We understand your frustration, however, you need to think about the position that Apple is in. With so many mobile devices being stolen or misused, Apple has been under pressure to provide a way for users to insure their data was safe. 2FA may not be the best, but it does work when done right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Only arrogant Apple would mess their customer base.
Were you anywhere on the planet when MicroSoft force-fed Win10? Now THAT was arrogance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Heck, I get prompted for 2FA and the code appears on the mac I am using. I believe I have stated this before but to me that defeats the purpose. I know it is because the mac is on my trusted list but if it is why do I need the 2FA for that mac? Sometimes apple can defy logic.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Were you anywhere on the planet when MicroSoft force-fed Win10? Now THAT was arrogance!

No more truer words have ever been spoken! Happiness was arriving at work to find out PC's were updating to W10 WITHOUT getting any kind of permission and said update would take hours plus a critical app would no longer work. THAT is arrogance!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Heck, I get prompted for 2FA and the code appears on the mac I am using. I believe I have stated this before but to me that defeats the purpose. I know it is because the mac is on my trusted list but if it is why do I need the 2FA for that mac? Sometimes apple can defy logic.

Lisa
Lisa, I can sort-of understand this phenomenon. Basically, what Apple is trying to do is to prevent someone from getting to your account from some machine that is NOT yours. I guess the assumption is that you will have a password or encryption on your own machine, so sending the code to that machine is protected by whatever you deem sufficient for you. But if Mr. Black Hat Hacker tried to get to your Apple accounts from a different system, the code would NOT go there, so you are protected. But I'm with you on why can't Apple just trust the Mac itself, if I want it to? I've even seen the code self-populate the prompt to enter it, so it's perfectly possible to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it's mandatory for all new Apple IDs and there is no way to turn it off. I agree that 2FA can be confusing especially for folks new to mobile devices and computers.

So, if I don't create a new Apple ID, I'm free from 2FA forever? When I buy a new Mac or iPhone, do I get to keep my current Apple ID?

It was such a pain to deal with it every time the OS or iOS was updated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, if I don't create a new Apple ID, I'm free from 2FA forever? When I buy a new Mac or iPhone, do I get to keep my current Apple ID?

Of course we can't say that as you and I have no idea what Apple will do in the future. For now, you are free not to use 2FA. And yes, if you purchase a new device, be it a Mac or iPhone you can keep your original Apple ID. It's to your advantage to keep your original Apple ID at all times. Having a second ID will only lead to confusion and extra red tape between you and Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.