• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A little bit of fun for our trans Atlantic cousins..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Blah. Football, cricket, baseball, etc. All very boring. What's real excitement is watching the Saturday Night WWE Smackdown! Now that will keep you awake Harry! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The mind does boggle at the antics of you Texans Charlie. I am coming to consider Bryan smarter and smarter with a Canuck's view of you lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
RadDave - I love Li-ion tools. I have a small Black & Decker hand drill that I use at work. I am amazed that even though it is small I can drill metal with it and my chief use is as a power screw driver. While I no longer teach and have a full shop, I still collect tools just because I like them and you just never know when you may need them. ;)

I can still use the school shop if I need to as I am still friends with the girl who took over when I retired. I use to make a lot of wood items for Christmas presents etc. The wood shop teacher and I use to team teach so we would buy our tools with the idea we could share them. I occasionally do a bit of custom work if I need something for home.

Hi Lisa - sorry, just getting back to this thread - I had NiCd batteries for years - large, heavy, memory issues, and the worst, relatively rapid loss of charge (not pleasant for an intermittent woodworker) - switching over to Li-Ion was a revelation - lighter and if after a month or so, I grab a drill, the tool works!

I'd love to have access to a shop w/ some larger standing machines - I have a 6" Yorkcraft jointer & a 12" Makita thickness planer and love both, but an 8" jointer and larger thickness planer or a wide drum sander (like the $2000 25" Delta shown below - ;)) would be a joy! But my projects are not that large and my glue-up panels rarely have more that 2 joints to smooth down.

I've never had a biscuit joiner Dave, I use a cutter in my router, not the internet type before anyone questions :Mischievous: It looks like a handy bit of kit!

If you have aq look at my web site you'll see that I don't do much joinery.:Confused::Confused:

Bumbags are called les banane, pronounced banann. Very confusing!

Hi John - took a look at your website - some nice crafts projects - I own a half dozen routers of different sizes, plus a router table - many use a slot cutter in a router for biscuits, so a common practice; in fact, I have a number of different size slot cutters - love Festools (European made and more expensive - that's why I have just 4 of their smaller ones!) - the new drill will be put to a LOT of use - the chuck changes are easy to do and has all of the features (2 speeds + 12 clutch choices) of my larger powered Li-Ion drills. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 1.24.03 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@lclev and RadDave You guys do realize I could put together a spectacular computer /AV system for what you have invested in tools? Just sayin' ;D

If that gives you any ideas in my direction well so be it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@lclev and RadDave You guys do realize I could put together a spectacular computer /AV system for what you have invested in tools? Just sayin' ;D

If that gives you any ideas in my direction well so be it.

Sly... - well, with the right tools, we could make you one blazingly fast computer out of wood! O:);D Dave
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 5.31.04 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Slydude - Keep in mind, the large heavy tools all reside at my former place of employment. I can just borrow the use of them.

RadDave - That is BEAUTIFUL! Be nice if it was real. Oh, and the school shop has an Oliver 25" planer - it is a beast!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude - Keep in mind, the large heavy tools all reside at my former place of employment. I can just borrow the use of them.

RadDave - That is BEAUTIFUL! Be nice if it was real. Oh, and the school shop has an Oliver 25" planer - it is a beast!

Thanks Lisa for breaking my heart - ;) Yes, I've seen that Oliver thickness planer (assume like the pic below) - now, please don't tell me there is also a Felder cross-cut table saw like the $10K+ one shown below? :)

SO, Sly.... - if you can contribute to our $20K budget, we can make you that wood computer - :) Dave

Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 6.24.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 6.27.32 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
RadDave - there are three tables saws. Two have the sliding table but they are on the woodshop side. I can't remember the brand but no Felder. I was the Agriculture teacher so I had a plain old regular DeWalt table saw.

When we built the new school, the shop teacher and I designed our space so we could share and team teach. I was more metalwork and welding oriented and he was wood working. We set it up so we did not duplicate but complimented and that gave us more variety. A lot of our machines were older and case iron and they could take the beating high school kids gave them. ;D

Lisa

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Going back to cricket and a little bit of education for those wot don't know the rules, they are very simple.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide whether the men who are in are in or out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

So terrible simple to follow, but please don't ask what a googly is or I may well burst into tears :Confused::Confused:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a headache now and need a large aspirin.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Headache?

Why?

It's all perfectly logical and straightforward ..O:)O:)

It must be all that Jack Bean or Jim Daniels that you drink the other side of the Pond??

M

MacInWin

The really sad thing is that it is a perfect description of the game. Ouch, I need another whiskey...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
We in Minnesota thank you for your concern, but graciously decline. We've already allied ourselves with the Nordic nations of Europe, and besides all those rules you've laid down get in the way of hunting and fishing. We will gladly share our tater tot hotdishes with you if you visit and treat you to a round of hockey or curling.

[video]http://video.tpt.org/video/2365042610/[/video]

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We decline the offer to govern us, but will gladly send you the current crop of presidential candidates . . . please keep them somewhere, anywhere but here ;P

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I forgot to mention that unless there's only one innings, that's where both teams are in and out just once, there are normally 2 innings and the game can last up to 5 days (yes, five daze !)

I would imagine that you would get extremely excited, so please just calm down or you will sound like Aussies over the Ashes?

Ah, the ashes:Cool::Cool: Not that's a really interesting story :Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous: Would you like me to tell you about that?

Nearly forgot to ask? Are the Minersotians really so positively negative ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Nearly forgot to ask? Are the Minersotians really so positively negative ??

Negative? Not so much. It's all in the linked tourism video. I think you'd best describe us more as extremely un-extreme. It's too cold half the year to do things any other way, except when the Vikings are playing football not too badly on a nice -16C degree day.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that playing football or the American stop/start version of rugby ;);):Mischievous:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We decline the offer to govern us, but will gladly send you the current crop of presidential candidates . . . please keep them somewhere, anywhere but here ;P

You can say that again. Keep all of them, preferably behind a stockade fence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You can say that again. Keep all of them, preferably behind a stockade fence.

Especially that one who thinks Paris is in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.