A good retail store for cheap RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I want to get another 1G of RAM for my MBP, but I'm very impatient and don't want to order it. Can someone tell me what computer store would be best and what brand has a good, cheap (contradiction of terms) stick of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
If you have a CompUSA around the may be having a store closing sale...

The one here in Ann Arbor is at 15% - 40% off everything (except Apple...)
Although, the pricing is still not that great. Hence the reason they are closing over half their stores...

I am the same way... super impatient... usually I will order things with overnight shipping and still save big bucks. No tax (depends on where you are) and severely discounted pricing from online retailers.

Reaction score
I want to get another 1G of RAM for my MBP, but I'm very impatient and don't want to order it. Can someone tell me what computer store would be best and what brand has a good, cheap (contradiction of terms) stick of RAM?

you will be voiding your warranty with 3rd party rams...byebye applecare
bestbuy by me got 1gb for 80 bucks though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
you will be voiding your warranty with 3rd party rams...byebye applecare
bestbuy by me got 1gb for 80 bucks though

You do not void your AppleCare warranty by using 3rd party RAM.

I second the recommendation for Fry's if you have one near you.

Reaction score
It won't void the third party RAM, but the RAM isn't covered by AppleCare. It seems obvious, but not everybody figures that part out.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advise. I was doing some price research on newegg.com and noticed they have different RAM for macs. I'm almost positive that intel macs can use any RAM PC's use, but I want to ask to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Thanks for the advise. I was doing some price research on newegg.com and noticed they have different RAM for macs. I'm almost positive that intel macs can use any RAM PC's use, but I want to ask to be sure.

Yeah it's all the same RAM.

I have only had one issue before with RAM from NewEgg not working in my 15inch G4 1.25ghz. It was Crucial OEM RAM and for some reason it just hated that powerbook. IfI remember correctly these machines were very picky with memory.

FYI... I had originally ordered the DIMM for my 12inch powerbook g4 1.33 and it never has had a problem in that machine (still in there today). I just wanted to try it in my 15inch when that became my primary machine. I ended up ordering direct from Crucial (same spec'd memory!) for the 15inch and that DIMM is working perfectly!

I order from Crucial and Newegg a few times a week (I have a reseller account from crucial so I do get real awesome pricing but I've always used them:) ) for work and personal use and never have any problems. They're great.

Ok so to sum it up... I bet you'll be fine! :)

T

todd51

I got a stick of 1Gb from newegg, I believe the brand name was G-Skill and it was only like 70 bucks!

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, when I realized that I can get RAM for about $40 less if I order online, I decided I can be patient. I Crucial because I've heard it's a better brand and it got good reviews from Mac owners on Newegg. Plus, it was on sale. Hopefully it'kll be here by tomorrow and will make using Parallels more tolerable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.