A Couple Of Things I Need Help With

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
I just tried dragging the stickies icon out of the Dock, it just bounces back when I let go. I tried double clicking the one in my applications, and it does nothing. Hmmmm

I opened the one in Apps and it says there is no content. Does this mean it is gone ....period? Here's a screen shot.
screenshot20110221at624.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
right click on the icon in the dock and select quit, then you can drag it off the dock.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
F I N A L L Y ! It worked. I r clicked and quit, then dragged the one out of my apps, and now it opens.
I just want to say you guys have been more helpful than anyone on any forum I have been on. I can see this is going to be quite a learning process, and I hope you don't get sick of me before I get out of the nest. No doubt I'll be needing help on a daily basis for a while.
Again, thank you so much for all your patience and expertise. You guys are simply AWSOME!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Ah, I forgot to mention that if an application is open you can't drag it out of the Dock. Thanks 6-string!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Phew! Glad we got there. I was beginning to worry that the next thing would be explaining that you can't drag an application's icon to the right side of the Dock, only to the left side. But now that's not necessary. Oh, I guess I did it anyway!

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, there is one last question on stickies. Now that they're back on my Dock and I can use them, how do I drag the stack to a different place on my desk top? When I try to move the stack, it moves just the top one and leaves the whole stack. They're in the bottom left corner now. I would actually like it if they were only on the desk top when I opened one.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phew! Glad we got there. I was beginning to worry that the next thing would be explaining that you can't drag an application's icon to the right side of the Dock, only to the left side. But now that's not necessary. Oh, I guess I did it anyway!
More good info.... I would have been sitting here with my mouth hanging open wondering what the heck. LOL Another curve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm confused by your question, Montana. Could you provide a screen shot? What "stack" are you talking about? In OS X, Stacks are Dock icons that represent folders and which sit to the right of the dotted line in the Dock. When you click on a stack the files inside it fan out so you can see them and access them without having to open a Finder window. But maybe you are referring to something else as a stack. I'm not sure what you are trying to move to the desktop and why.

It sounds like you could use a crash course in some basics of OS X features and terminology. You'll find some really helpful but bite sized tutorials on this page. I highly recommend watching a few of them. I think they may save you some trouble in the near future.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

The PC to Mac, the Anatomy of a Mac and the Finder basics ones might be particularly useful at this point.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, Here's a screen shot of the bottom of my desk top with the stack of stickies in the lower left corner. I can peel them off one by one and they just keep coming. Isn't there a way to have them appear only when I click on them in my dock? i'm hesitant to just start deleting them by the hundreds in fear that I'll screw it up again. I think that may be where I got into trouble to start with.
screenshot20110221at105.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Oh, as for Command>I, that was a typing error on TattooedMac's part.
Oops :Oops:

OK, Here's a screen shot of the bottom of my desk top with the stack of stickies in the lower left corner. I can peel them off one by one and they just keep coming. Isn't there a way to have them appear only when I click on them in my dock? i'm hesitant to just start deleting them by the hundreds in fear that I'll screw it up again. I think that may be where I got into trouble to start with.
screenshot20110221at105.png

If you want to get rid of it completely if you click in the Sticky MenuBad where i have the Arrow then click the little arrow looking thing that will delete the stickie, and if there is any data in there it will ask you if you want to save it.

Now if you want to leave the App open all the time and not have them show, right click on the icon in the dock then click hide. This will hide them on the desktop and then make the icon translucent

Cheers

EDIT :
20110222-mkuk4xfkextya1n1dcsnbgjtem.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I think I see. Well you can't have each individual stickie have its own dock icon if that's what you mean, but as TattooedMac said, you can hide any application from sight by choosing Hide from any application menu or press Command-H. Then of course you can make it reappear by clicking the icon in the dock or you can press Command-Tab (or 4 finger swipe across the trackpad) to bring up the application switcher and select Stickies (or whichever open application you want).

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Right, thanks. I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on the Mac system. I'm determined to learn this system and get efficient at it. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely check out that link. There are some text tutorials too that you can study more closely. And of course we're here for you too!

I switched from Windows 3 years ago and it took me awhile to get over my hatred of Macs and start realizing that they're not only powerful computers but also way more fun to use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.