A chuckle for those that have already switched

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
Ya, I hope to own an iMac soon. I'm just stalling to see if a new one is announced, but I get more impatient every time Windows makes me waste an evening trying to fix something. I've been playing with an iMac in a store, and really like the feel. I thought I might find it really difficult to switch, but most everything actually seems more intuitive in OSX. Do you find you are missing anything now, that you really liked/needed with Windows?

I dont miss windows at all, found pretty much a substitute for any program i used so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't miss a thing about Windows. There's nothing on Windows that I can't do on a Mac with far less fuss and muck.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
I don't miss a thing about Windows. There's nothing on Windows that I can't do on a Mac with far less fuss and muck.

As far as software and features, I think I will have more than with Windows. My biggest fear is dealing with file copies across a network. I would have it connected to my Windows network, and I've heard many reports of absolutely brutal data transfer rates (e.g. 40 kb/s instead of around 40-50 MB/s). I'm hoping it is something that can be adjusted. I've also discovered that vmware (in Windows, at least) has hideous transfer rates between the vm and another system. I tried to copy 1gb of files today from a vm to a network drive. The progress window came up and said "4 days" :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Thanks for the chuckle.

Hi Lastmboy! Actually I had some big belly laughs too :D

A few years ago, I was using a very bulky Dell desktop with frequent distress. I was hearing a lot of good things from Mac users, especially about their reliability. Everybody who had a Mac really loved it.

I was wary of making a big investment on faith, so out of curiosity I bought a MacMini "just to get my feet wet". It way outperformed my expectations.

This little Mini turned out to be a "real computer". It's been my main system for the last 4 years. It easily handles my two 500GB external drives, plus it runs Windows on a virtual machine, communicating flawlessly between both OS's and all my drives.

It was a fine investment.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
It was a fine investment.

Ya, you can't go wrong with that.

Would you believe the dead printer lingers on? I have the new one installed wirelessly (which is quite a process in Windows.. one button click on Mac). However, the "ghost" of the old printer keeps showing up in my devices again. I've deleted it several times, but it keeps coming back. Argh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Ya, you can't go wrong with that.

Would you believe the dead printer lingers on? I have the new one installed wirelessly (which is quite a process in Windows.. one button click on Mac). However, the "ghost" of the old printer keeps showing up in my devices again. I've deleted it several times, but it keeps coming back. Argh!

In Windows, when I had issues with USB devices, I would reboot to Safe Mode, where I would often see ghost drivers. I deleted them all, and when I returned to Normal Mode, the issues cleared up.

You might want to try that. Good luck!

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
In Windows, when I had issues with USB devices, I would reboot to Safe Mode, where I would often see ghost drivers. I deleted them all, and when I returned to Normal Mode, the issues cleared up.

You might want to try that. Good luck!

Ya, I should have thought to try that. Thanks. I'll see if that works. I haven't been too worried about it, as I figure I will soon just put a new iMac in it's place, and I won't care anymore :Cool:

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
This can become a never ending circle though, bc once the new one is out there is another in the pipeline. If you have the funds and need it now (and looks as if you do) go ahead and make the purchase and come to the dark side ;P

True, but at this point (over a year since last update) we're so close to a new version that it seems dumb to pay full price for a 2011. I definitely wouldn't hold out past the 2012 model.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Or you can use XMarks, which lets you sync bookmarks across whatever browser and platforms you like. Haven't used it myself (no need), but I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

I actually got XMarks working properly again, with some effort. I did a full upload (replace) of all bookmarks in my main Firefox up to XMarks online. I then deleted ALL bookmarks from all my browsers on all computers, devices, etc. (kinda scary). I then did a full download (replace) to all browsers on all computers and devices, then turned auto-sync back on. They're all correct now and syncing properly. I also deleted about a 1,000 or so bookmarks that aren't valid anymore (used a Firefox plug-in to find all invalid ones), which greatly improved the sync time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.