A blown Cap?

V

VastDeathmaster

In another post, I asked about a capacitor in my new eMac. It looked blown.

Yet the system runs fine. I'm wondering if there is trouble in paradise.

Description:

I opened the bottom of the eMac to swap out the memory. When the panel is removed, you can see the cable for the harddrive, and the two memory slots. To the right are two capacitors. One looks normal, but the other looks like it is blown.

Here is what I remember about capacitors from an electronics class. Their tops are normally flat. If they are not and have a domed look to them (ie. not flat on top but convex) then that capacitor is bad. On a motherboard, a blown cap is one that is darkened and has a domed top.

I don't remember the internal workings of a cap, but this one looked like it was leaking.

Any ideas here? I have had the machine for less than a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Go to the apple store, say that you are an engineer and that one of your macs capicitors are blown and you want a new one because its a week old and you haven't had a chance to mess with it. The key is to say you are an engineer. They can't really doubt you then, can they?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The Apple will not know about any of the various component that make up any of the Apple hardware. That is why they return any device back to the factory.

As for the description of the capacitor, it does not sound bad to me. If the system is working I don't think you have a problem. I believe that a capacitor to go bad it will looked like it had burned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.