5S or 6? Decisions, decisions...

Reaction score
I've compared both, but frankly, I simply cannot make up my own mind.

Currently, I have a 5th generation iPod touch as the only pocketed iOS device. It's 64 GB, runs fairly well (albeit some apps, like Azumio Inc.'s "Argus" have been a bit sluggish to load; widgets in Notification center take between 5 and 10 seconds to refresh etc. etc.) and I have a set of OlloClip lenses for it. I'm coming from two phones that I occasionally switch the SIM card back and forth between: a Motorola DROID Razr M and a Nokia Lumia 928.

The only reasons I can see getting a 6 over a 5S:

• Faster camera sensor
  • 120 and 240 FPS slow-mo
  • 43 MP equivalent pano shots
  • Better "selfie" (FaceTime) camera
  • Auto HDR (correct me if the 5S has this as well)
  • Barometer
  • Bigger screen; thinner profile
  • 128 GB possibility; cheaper than before 64 GB

I would have to get a new set of OlloClip lenses (OC has a new 4-in-1 set; but no telephoto or CPL…yet).

The only reasons I can see getting a 5S instead of the 6:

• Maintains current OlloClip lens compatibility
  • Myriad of case options
  • Cheaper
  • Still a good camera device
  • Profile would still fit in my pockets even better than a 6

What does everyone else think? I will be switching carriers when going to one of these iPhone choices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both are great iPhones. I currently have a 5C (given to me as a gift from my son) and am considering an upgrade soon after the first of the year. I've decided on a 6+ simply because of the screen size. At first I thought it was too large and bulky, but once you handle it and see the screen on a 6+, it's love at first sight. :D

I guess I'm saying you should go for the 6 or 6+. If you're on contract and eligible for an upgrade the difference in monthly payments may only amount to $10 or so. If you're planning on buying a new iPhone outright, then price is of course a major consideration. You mentioned switching carriers.... I'm now with T-Mobile and have two phones plus 3 GB of data/month with unlimited talk and text for $72.00 and that includes all taxes and government fees. T-Mobile coverage in my area (Dallas - Fort Worth) is excellent.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At first I thought it was too large and bulky, but once you handle it and see the screen on a 6+, it's love at first sight. :D

Did you get a "man-purse" for Christmas??lol I think I remember someone mentioning that a "purse" was a prerequisite for a 6+.;)

I think that if I was in the market for a new phone...I would get the 6+ as well.:) Just for the experience to see if the larger display had any sort of portability inconveniences (in my bubble).;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Both are great iPhones. I currently have a 5C (given to me as a gift from my son) and am considering an upgrade soon after the first of the year. I've decided on a 6+ simply because of the screen size. At first I thought it was too large and bulky, but once you handle it and see the screen on a 6+, it's love at first sight. :D

I guess I'm saying you should go for the 6 or 6+. If you're on contract and eligible for an upgrade the difference in monthly payments may only amount to $10 or so. If you're planning on buying a new iPhone outright, then price is of course a major consideration. You mentioned switching carriers.... I'm now with T-Mobile and have two phones plus 3 GB of data/month with unlimited talk and text for $72.00 and that includes all taxes and government fees. T-Mobile coverage in my area (Dallas - Fort Worth) is excellent.

I loved the 5C when it first came out - now it's only 8 GB and I do not want another 8 GB iPhone (first iPhone was an iPhone 4…and I had to get the iPod touch for music and game apps…and then realized it had a better camera etc.). Plus…it seems I can no longer find (in stores anyway) the OlloClip set for iPhone 5C.

I've been to an Apple store and spent an hour comparing the iPhone 6 and the 6+. I too loved the 6+ but 9 times out of 10 I always ended up dropping it on the table (not very high off it of course) and I just don't think I can put up with that (it improves, I'm told, with the right case), much less trying to stuff that (and a case) into my pockets - I've yet to meet anyone with a 6+ either - everyone lately has just the 6. Yes it's got that gorgeous screen, and landscape mode…but the other thing is that price. Eek. :eek:

On a sidenote: what's this I'm hearing about the latest iPhones having problems with magnetic accessories?

———

I'm switching from Big Red to Big Yellow (Verizon to Sprint). I've heard good things about all major carriers; we've determined for our sake that Sprint is cheapest and has improving service, especially locally here in Albuquerque where before this year, I've heard Sprint was a mixed bag. I do find T-Mo's offerings with streaming music to be really nice, but I think soon T-Mo won't be the only carrier with music streaming not counting against your data.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, it's always a hazard when dropping your iPhone. I bought one of the "rubber baby bumper" cases that OWC sells that's supposedly protects your iPhone from a 10 foot drop. The case is built solid and definitely protects the phone, but I found it so bulky and awkward to carry that I removed it and use the case that T-Mobile gave me for free. And by the way, my 5C is 16 GB. I don't think the 5C comes in 8 GB. Like I said it was a gift or I would have gotten one with 32 GB at a minimum. If I do get the 6+ next month I'll get the 64 GB version.

As for Sprint, their service around here is spotty and there's only one Sprint store in this large area near my home. AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile have stores everywhere. But if their service is good where you live, go for it. They definitely have some good deals going.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey, it's always a hazard when dropping your iPhone. I bought one of the "rubber baby bumper" cases that OWC sells that's supposedly protects your iPhone from a 10 foot drop. The case is built solid and definitely protects the phone, but I found it so bulky and awkward to carry that I removed it and use the case that T-Mobile gave me for free. And by the way, my 5C is 16 GB. I don't think the 5C comes in 8 GB. Like I said it was a gift or I would have gotten one with 32 GB at a minimum. If I do get the 6+ next month I'll get the 64 GB version.

*hem-hem*. Apple - iPhone 5c - Technical Specifications

:p

I guess I'll see how lucky I am to obtain a 6 Plus and a case. All of this is an after-Christmas gift from the phone bill payer (my aunt), it all depends really on if she wants to spend the money on one, plus a new phone for herself. It is very tempting, I must say.

Nevertheless, owning an iPhone again after the two software nightmares I've owned the last year or two…it'd be a nice change.

Thanks guys. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you're right about the 5C being sold with only 8 GB, although I can't imagine an iPhone with only 8 GB. After iOS 8 was loaded on my phone I had 12 GB of space left. An 8 GB phone would leave you with only 4 GB of space for apps. Let us know when you get your 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"
Currently i am still using iPhone 5 32GB.
i have been using iPhone since iPhone 3Gs and all my phone were 32GB which i think the storage is just right for my usage.
Breaking down of my Storage used: 3GB Music / 10GB photos / 11GB of apps. i am left with 4GB of useful storage after installing iOS 8.

But since the new iPhone 6/6+ does not provide the option of 32GB. Guess i would need to purchase the 64GB version.

8GB is way too small for any useful storage for me, and i dun think i would required the massive storage of 128GB.

OP
C
Reaction score
Currently i am still using iPhone 5 32GB.
i have been using iPhone since iPhone 3Gs and all my phone were 32GB which i think the storage is just right for my usage.
Breaking down of my Storage used: 3GB Music / 10GB photos / 11GB of apps. i am left with 4GB of useful storage after installing iOS 8.

But since the new iPhone 6/6+ does not provide the option of 32GB. Guess i would need to purchase the 64GB version.

8GB is way too small for any useful storage for me, and i dun think i would required the massive storage of 128GB.

I agree with you on the 8 GB part. I had an 8 GB iPhone 4. And it was only useful as a phone. Very little if anything else beyond a tiny bit of photos, some apps (mostly navigation, music streaming and a game or two).

Both of my other smartphones - a Motorola DROID RAZR M had only 4 GB internally but could be expanded up to 64 GB externally…it wasn't a bad phone but I couldn't hold many apps at all without running into problems…and then there's my Nokia Lumia 928 - 32 GB internal, no expansion option…the lack of useful apps on the Windows Marketplace has made it a bit of a dud for anything other than music and photos altogether.

Truth be told, my 64 GB iPod touch (5th gen) has 209 apps (most of it being photo-editing/taking apps), my entire music library, half of my iPhoto library - and it still has nearly 30 GB left to fill. Honestly, if I take some of the iPhoto library out and get a 32 GB iPhone 5S - I'd be set. Still…a 6/6 Plus is so very tempting. :D

128 GB would be overkill for me.

OP
C
Reaction score
Right. After some debates among family members on who gets what kind of iPhone…

Three of us got the iPhone 6 (two 64 GB models, one gold (mine) and one space grey; one 16 GB model, gold), and my father got an iPhone 5C in yellow with 16 GB.

The strangest part is even though those of use who had another iOS device with which to backup and restore to new iPhones; I was the only one who didn't have an problems. My father's 5C wouldn't sync with the restore, my Mom's thought it should download all of my apps (since her old iPhone was on my Apple ID; and now her new one is not…for this reason.) when restoring. Much of it's fixed now.

Still…I'm getting used to the screen size difference between the 6 and my old iPod touch, the phenomenal speed increase and the camera (combined with either Manual or NightCap Pro - pretty good low light photography).

Now that I think about it:

My old Nokia Lumia 928 had an 8.7 MP camera, 2.0f aperture and could go up to 3200 ISO max.
The 6: 8 MP, 2.2f aperture and I believe 1200-2000 ISO max (not entirely sure, haven't bothered paying attention to that). Took a lowlight image in the exact same spot and they were spot on nearly equal (the iPhone having a less grainy photo).

This will be a good phone for the next few years, I can already see that.

…now to just find a case I actually like for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.