4TB G-Drive auto rename to MyBook and delete all data (Yosemite)

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just purchased a 4TB G-Drive - Thunderbolt & USB 3.0, to use mainly as storage for caches, render and previews. I've connected it to a macbook pro with thunderbolt (Yosemite).
All working great, at first.
But, switching it on suddently it renamed itself as MyBook and all the data in it disappeared (just 10/20 gb of temp renders and previews, thankfully).
At start, mac app Time Machine popped up asked me if I want to use it as backup disk as if it was a new empty one. I'm 100% sure I refused, but it seems that it automatically did wipe it clean before asking.
I decided to format it clean from disk utility. It worked fine for a couple of days and then it did the same again. Auto renamed to MyBook and all data gone.
Obviously I can't trust it anymore, and I'm thinking of returning it.
It's a pity, because it works great, a part from this crazy thing.

Any ideas of what is happening? I'm pretty confident I didn't do anything unusual...

Many thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would also return the drive. However, are you sure the drive did not come with embedded software in its firmware? I can't see any other reason for it renaming itself.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a few WD drives which I have used for a while without problems and like my one Seagate and one Transcend I always use Disk Utility first to completely erase the drive and reformat as Mac OS Extended (journaled) before use. I have always followed this process as standard practice even though things have changed since the days when most popular EHD's were formatted for windows. So ecnezie, did you erase and format originally or just plugin out of the box?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
E
Reaction score
I first plug it in straight out of the box, and happened one time.
Then erase it clean thinking the same and... happened again :)

I have an older WD drive that I use for backup, I think is the reason why I had istances of their smart software in. Luckily it happened on the new empty and not on other ones with sensible data in.

I now deleted all the ones I found, and testing the HD to see if it does again, still not sure if bringing it back since it seem "innocent" and working good now. I have still few days.
I hope to have deleted all of them, searching through seem all clean.

Thanks for your replies!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.