45watt power adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1.1 desktop, Mac Mini 2005, Mac G5 desktop
does anyone know how to test an Apple 45 watt saucer power adapter...or what can replace it for a power book g4 pismo?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The "saucer" power adapter is actually from the old iBook G3's (the colored one's). To test it you need to plug it into a compatible Apple computer that has the proper power port…and needs a 45w adapter.

The correct/original power adapter is the more rectangular shaped one's…of course with the proper connector for a Pismo's power port & 45w power requirement.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple yo-yo power adapter

Nick: Thanks for the very quick reply. It seems that when my Daughter purchased the G3 powerbook in 2000 the yo-yo power adaptor was included (according to her receipt) possibly as an option. I am trying to get it up and running again in order to open some of her files and am wondering if there may be another Apple (brand) of power adapter that would get it going again.

Again, thank you for the information.

John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick: Thanks for the very quick reply. It seems that when my Daughter purchased the G3 powerbook in 2000 the yo-yo power adaptor was included (according to her receipt) possibly as an option.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same computer…this is an iBook G3 "Clamshell":

5rIvPqnGruXrWvkC.standard

This is a "Pismo" Powerbook (which is also a powered by a G3 CPU):

images

I believe both of these models needed a 45 watt power adapter…and the plug connector to the computers power port was the same. So a "Yo-Yo" or saucer power adapter would work on both. But I'm pretty sure the Yo-Yo adapter came with the iBook G3 "Clamshell" computers. The original power adapter for a Pismo Powerbook looks something like this:

$(KGrHqFHJCUFClfL-W1OBQ)t1C!17Q~~60_35.JPG

The iBook G3 "Clamshell" (July, 1999) was the model just before the Powerbook G3 "Pismo" (Feb, 2000). And I think that the "Yo-Yo" was introduced with the iBook G3 "Clamshell". But since both of these computers were available at the same time…it's possible your daughter got the "Yo-Yo" adapter with her Powerbook G3 "Pismo".

In any case…you asked how to test a "Yo-Yo" adapter. If you are plugging in the Pismo & Yo-Yo adapter…and nothings happening. The Yo-Yo adapter could be bad…or the computer could be bad. And of course the only way to know for sure…would be to find/get a known good 45watt compatible power adapter (either pictured above).

I'm going to assume that the Pismo's battery is done/dead. Some laptop computer models sometimes act "funny" if the battery is dead. Meaning sometimes they don't work without a good battery. But I think that these old Apple laptops would still work (power on) without having a "good" battery.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 pismo

Nick: the picture of the black clamshell is the one she had but the pwr adapter you show looks much more robust so if it will fit I think I will try to find one. Thanks so much for the help.

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.