21.5 iMac Mid 2011, High Sierra 10.13.6 and Windows 7 Pro. 64b Sp1; the Devil's own recipe for rage and frustration frustration? Discuss.

Samd23

Reaction score
So, as the thread title suggests I have been unsuccessfully tying to load up Win7 pro 64b onto my ageing, but still relatively spry, Mid. 2011, 21.5 inch iMac. As might be expected, Bootcamp (v6.01) (BC) has been my primary means of attempting this apparently Herculean feat. It has not been successful.

Before going on it should be noted that:

1) I've read and followed the official Apple guide to loading windows via BC.

2) I have also read just about every post I could find about this topic via Google and none seem to quite get to the actual issue (at least so it seems to me)

3) I am attempting to load Win764b from USB because the misnamed superdrive in my Mac has never worked so DVD install is out.

3) I am not by any stretch of the imagination knowledgeable about this stuff. Everything I know I have gleaned from forum posts, articles and troubleshooting guides.

That said let me attempt to recall and layout the sequence of events and steps I have taken in my quest to load this **** software onto my godforsaken piece of... you get picture.

So after staring incredulously at the images of BC in online instructions and realising that my copy was missing the all important option to "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk" I dug around on google and found out that all was not lost, I just needed to edit something called the info.plist. So I watched a couple of tutorials and eventually found this:

Boot Camp Assistant - Enabling creation of bootable USB disks for installing Windows

And I thought to myself, 'now we are getting somewhere, Ill be done by lunch time...' I am clearly a fool, a poor, naive and dewey eyed fool.

(For interest I have attached my edited info.plist in case anyone felt like giving it a once over and seeing if there are any obvious problems with it that may be part of the issue with BC not creating bootable WININSTALL disks on USB. I have highlighted a couple of areas that I am unsure about; one where there is just ???? instead of any details in the string and the DARequiredROMVersion Key which I had to manually add with text edit as I couldn't find it in the original plist with Xcode nor work how to add it with Xcode.)

So I followed said instructions and lo and behold when I opened bootcamp again the all important "Create a Windows 7 or later version install disk" was now present and correct. What followed where a few abortive attempts at creating a bootable USB with error messages a plenty. Having used the google to find the answers I needed I eventually got BC to spit out a nice, successfully created WININSTALL (allegedly) bootable USB. I then dutifully followed the instructions and manually added the correct version (5.15) of Apple's Windows Support Software to the USB as directed. Then its back into BC and time install Windows 7 or later version. Partition goes fine, I alloctae a comfortable 60gb for Windows to play with and sit back and wait for...
a black screen with the message that 'no bootable device has been found' etc. But my nice new WININSTALL (allegedly) bootable USB is plugged in so *** is wrong here?

Anyway, long story short I went through that process several times without any joy. I tried manually creating a bootable windows USB, and manually partitioning my hard drive with 60gb of MSDOS fat32 for windows to swim in. Still the **** thing can't see the USB drive to boot from it (does not show up as boot option when ALT/Option key is depressed during start up)
I have created Windows USB's using Rufus on a pc, and they do not work, I have tried balena etcher on the mac and they do not work.

In short, no method seems to want to work. Which whilst frustrating is not really why I am posting this screed. The real reason is that I have become pretty convinced that BC, at least with my set up is simply not able to create a bootable win7 USB. In fact none of the methods I tried that actually appeared successful on the face of it managed to create a bootable win 7 USB. (note that my USB was always formatted as MBR/Fat32 either by bootcamp, disk utility or Rufus on the PC)
I managed to check this with disk utility using the info tab in the top right of the window and it is clear that the resulting Win 7 USB were not bootable. (See attached files.)

EDIT:

I have now managed to create Win 7 USB that is recognised by my machine when I restart with ALT/Option pressed (shows up as EFI boot)
I did this by following these instructions:

Here
(scroll down to entry 31 on linked page)

and then using Rufus on a PC to create a bootable win 7 USB using GTP instead of MBR and setting it up for UEFI rather BIOS protocols.

Unfortunately, despite this showing up as a bootable option when restarting with the option key depressed, selecting it simply freezes the system and I have manually shut down and reboot into OSX again without any joy. It should also be noted that bootcamp does not recognise this as a suitable wininstall disk. But then it wasn't named WININSTALL so perhaps that will work...

EDIT ENDS

Given that none of methods I used actually created a bootable USB despite following all the instructions and tutorials I could find online, makes me wonder If I am being very stupid and have missed some vital part of the process or if it is simply not possible?

It should be noted that I have tried this with several different downloads of Win7 64b SP1 from various legit sources and none worked.

So in the end I think the problem with the 'no bootable device found' is simply that BC does not in fact create a bootable USB, it simply copies the files from the ISO onto the USB and calls it an install disk.

Well, I think I have gone on long enough. Too long probably. If any knowledgable person reads this and can help, I'd appreciate it. And if not and you've read this far well, thanks for your patience.

Kind Regards and a happy new year to all.
SamD23

Attachments

• Info.plist1.pdf
    137 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.31.33.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.31.33.png
    382.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.31.50.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.31.50.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Do you need to keep High Sierra on the machine? If not, you could just install Windows to the internal drive as if it was a PC, erase the drive, format for Windows, and not have any High Sierra at all, just Windows.

As for the BC problem, I am sorry as I cannot assist you with that. I gave up on Windows a long time ago. Maybe you should dump the BC approach and run Windows as a guest OS using something like Parallels, or VMWare? I think there are some free emulations out there as well.

OP
S

Samd23

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Do you need to keep High Sierra on the machine? If not, you could just install Windows to the internal drive as if it was a PC, erase the drive, format for Windows, and not have any High Sierra at all, just Windows.

As for the BC problem, I am sorry as I cannot assist you with that. I gave up on Windows a long time ago. Maybe you should dump the BC approach and run Windows as a guest OS using something like Parallels, or VMWare? I think there are some free emulations out there as well.
Hi Jake,
thanks for the welcome. I do need to keep High Sierra for various reasons. I have used Parallels in the past and it works pretty well, but not do only do I resent having to pay their exorbitant subscription fees but it also uses a graphics emulator rather than running the on board graphics card natively (I think that is the right word) so it is somewhat lacking in that regard. In my experience all of the virtual machine type solutions are unable to take full advantage of the chipset, graphics card or installed memory so they won't run the things I want that would run if I could get windows to run natively in its own partition.

I appreciate your input though. Enjoy the rest of your day.
SamD23

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Samd23, you could also just buy a cheap PC for whatever you need Windows 7 for. That is a pretty old version of Windows, so maybe a thrift shop or used computer place would have something really cheap? Sometimes it just makes sense...

OP
S

Samd23

Reaction score
@Samd23, you could also just buy a cheap PC for whatever you need Windows 7 for. That is a pretty old version of Windows, so maybe a thrift shop or used computer place would have something really cheap? Sometimes it just makes sense...

Gotta say Jake, that is making more and more sense to me... but I have weirdly been enjoying the challenge of trying to make this work. I've learnt a lot. Most of it probably useless in the scheme of things but you know, you live and learn...

There is also a perverse part of me that just wants to vent my ire about some of Apple's way of doing things since the change to Intel processors. My old G4 powermac back in the day was an awesome machine that did everything I wanted it to extremely well. Even my current ancient iMac seemed to behave better prior to high sierra. If I am remembering correctly it was great up to and including el Capitan, but it could have been a prior OSX version.

I am also interested to see if anyone has had any joy with this set up because the internet is littered with people struggling with this and having tried all the solutions offered to the best of my, all be it limited, abilities I'd like to know if what I am doing is even possible. I guess I am hoping that some expert will take a look and say that I am either on a hiding to nothing and it is not possible to do what I want, or that I have missed some vital ingredient and all I have to do is X, Y or Z to achieve what I want!
Anyway, peace be with you.

Take her easy
SamD23

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, trying to get Windows to run and share a computer with macOS or OSX is a challenge, but more because of the way Windows just assumes that IT is the only operating system, ever. So, to get it to play nice with the Mac, you have to get it to stay in the "box," which is what makes it so difficult. I give kudos to Apple for even trying it.

I never used BootCamp. I did use Parallels for a bit because I had one application my wife needed for her business that used a printer that didn't have drivers for Macs (It was a specialty printer for label making). I would print her labels for her on that instance of Windows. I didn't see any need to try BC because I didn't need to give up the space on the drive for Windows. She eventually gave the business to our daughter, the printer was "retired" (can you say, sledgehammered?), and our daughter changed the labels process so that now she can use her Mac for her printing. No need for Windows any more!

There are some folks on here who have used BC successfully, so maybe one of them will come along and get you going. As for the "challenge," I sometimes lose sight of the real goal when I start wrestling with the tools to get there. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get so bogged down with the "tools" that you lost focus on the end goal--running Win7 for what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7,1 and 8,1
Have you tried using the method in my post "Dual Boot 10.11 and Windows 11"? You may have to modify some areas, but it my help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried using the method in my post "Dual Boot 10.11 and Windows 11"?
If this is from another thread...please post a link to it here (makes it much easier for interested folks).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.