2020 MacBook Pro wake from sleep issues

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe what Lisa means is that she turned off the security check that the T2 does.

krs

Reaction score
I'm still surprised that a user can just do that considering Apple is so focused on security.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What I did was go into Recovery mode by holding down the Command + R key while pressing the power button to turn it on. You have to hold those keys down until you see the screen shift to a light gray. Once in recovery you login on an admin account. Now at the top click on Utilities then on Startup Security Utility and enter your admin password again. In the window that opens under Secure Boot I selected No Security. Under Allowed Boot Media I selected Allow BootIng from External or Removable Media. Fireware password protection is off.

I don’t know if that shuts the T2 chip off but it stops it from locking up my keyboard and trackpad after waking from sleep.

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi all, - apologies for the long message below.

I am so relieved to at last find someone with a very similar problem I have been having for about a week - or at least partially. Let me explain.

First of all, here is my setup: MacBook Pro 13'' 2020, i5 quadcore (4 thunderbolts), 32 GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Catalina 10.15.6. I use my Mac in two different ways: either in clamshell mode while connected to my external screen (via an Apple USB-C -> HDMI converter), or as a usual portable Mac with the laptop screen.

I received this Mac a couple of weeks ago. Instead of doing a restore from TimeMachine (I used to own a MacMini late 2012), I decided to go clean: I copied all the documents, movies, music, photos, etc manually (not the library folder), but reinstalled all the necessary applications one by one.

My Mac ran very well for a few days, and then something really weird happened. One night, after having watched Netflix on my external screen (Mac in clamshell), I set the Mac to sleep. I then disconnect it entirely and move the Mac on my other table as I knew the next day I would use it in portable mode. The next day, I open my Mac and ... everything is super slow. First thing I see is that there is an update for Safari (14), so I update it, thinking it might be a temporary issue due to Safari. But unfortunately, it did not solve anything at all.

It was really weird. I would click on an app on the dock to load it and it would wait a couple of seconds before bouncing, and then would bounce for a long time before loading the app. I counted 60 bounces for Safari ! I then decide to restart my computer and lo and behold, it was getting even worse. The extensions loaded at startup (Backblaze, iStat menu, Antidote, etc) would take forever to load.

I did an NVRAM reset, ran the diagnostic utility (no issue found) and ... called Apple. I went through their step-by-step approach (including SMC reset) which solved nothing. Created a new user, which took forever as everything was so slow. Then had to reinstall Catalina. Did it, and yes it worked better for something like 10 minutes before behaving like before. Apple told me to bring the Mac to repair store.

I arrive at the store, ready to demonstrate the issues and... guess what, everything works. No issue at all. I see though that the wifi is not connected to any network, so we connect. And again, no problem at all. The only difference I could think of between my home and the store was the wifi.

I come back home, connect to the wifi, and everything loads super slow. I turn off the wifi, everything works perfectly well. Go back on the wifi, everything slow again. Connect on the hotspot of my iPhone, all is good. I check my router (Netgear R6300v2, firmware up to date), nothing out of the ordinary. My iPhone, my wife's iPad and MacBook Air, none of them have any issue.

And then, same issue as Lisa starts happening : waking up after a sleep, my Mac would display that pop-up claiming that no keyboard nor trackpad could be found. I have to wait for 10-20 seconds before I can use the Mac again. Since yesterday I checked the wifi logs and see a lot of those messages :

ERROR: rapportd (511) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
ERROR: sharingd (662) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request

I have no idea is this is linked, but all those problems are extremely annoying. Basically, when I want an app to load fast, I have to turn off the wifi, load the app, turn the wifi back on.

I did not try Lisa's approach but will do so now and update my message here.

Reaction score
Back again. Unfortunately for me, changing those settings as per Lisa's recommendation did nothing for me. I still have to switch the wifi off if I want my Mac to load apps at normal speed. If any of you has any idea, I'm all ears. I have absolutely no idea of what I could do next. The biggest mystery for me being that all of this happened overnight.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally discovered if I turn off the WiFi connection on the MBP before I let it sleep all is good when it wakes up. Then when I wake it up I turn on the WiFi On the Mac. I still have the T2 security set to medium - which I don’t think makes any difference. If I totally shut down my Mac I don’t have to turn off the WiFi as it will reboot and work fine.

I don’t have the problem at work where we have fiber optic service that is fast and our WiFi access points are AC or AX speeds. I can shut it and walk to a different area, open it and it connects and works fine. At home I have Hughesnet satellite which has a lag that is unavoidable.

I went through two other 2020 MBPs before I decided to figure out a workaround for home. I don’t have the problem anywhere else but home so I blame Hughesnet. Interestingly enough my husband‘s 2011 iMac does not have the issue with our Hughesnet internet service. It is a faithful workhorse that keeps on working great.

The slowdowns you are describing I don’t have at all. If I forget to shut off the WiFi connection then I will have no trackpad or keyboard. A message pops up saying it is hunting for them on a USB or Bluetooth connection. I have to press keys and eventually it will come out of it’s snit. But if the WiFi connection is turned off when it wakes there is no problem.

It is a mystery that I believe is either driver or software related. I keep hoping Apple fixes it but I think it is an isolated problem so there are not many complaining about it.

For each one of my MBP’s I found the issue was not apparent initially but developed later - no idea why. Updates? Who knows. Frustrating but for me, manageable.

Lisa

Reaction score
Thank you Lisa for your prompt answer. I do have exactly the same symptoms as you, and ended up shutting off the wifi before putting the Mac to sleep. As written above, the MacBook Air from my wife does not have any issue at all, so it is definitively related to my MBP 13 (combined with Catalina ?) - not sure I can blame my Netgear router as you have the same issue. I will test with other wifi networks when I have the chance.

The slowdowns are really annoying; if I want to speed up the load of apps I have to switch off the wifi...

This is indeed manageable, but to me absolutely unthinkable for a 3kUSD machine :(

Let's hope Apple comes up with a fix asap. I am wondering though if there is no great mind out there able to read the wifi logs and interprets them :)

Thanks again !

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said my husbands 2011 iMac running High Sierra has no issues at all - connecting or running apps fast. As for router - I have the HughesNet router and I also have a Apple Time Capsule in bridge mode. But you have given me an ideal - I will try switching the Apple TC to having it’s own network and see if that makes a difference.

I have never had a problem with apps running slow. And I have never had any issues at work. I will let you know if changing my network around makes a difference.

Lisa

Reaction score
Thanks Lisa. I will give an update here as well as soon as I can test on another network. Should be on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, it would be interesting to see if someone having the same configuration (MacBook Pro 13 2020 4 USB-C and Catalina 10.15.6) sees the same lines in the logs of the wifi (even if that person has no issue at all) :

ERROR: rapportd (511) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
ERROR: sharingd (662) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request

To check the logs: Apple Menu -> About this Mac -> click on System Report -> scroll down to "Logs" -> select Wi-Fi log

Jacques

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked the WiFi logs. Up until about 10:30am today I had several of the ERROR messages just like yours. Then I reconfigured my Apple time capsule to be a separate wifi router with DHCP. I can see in the log where the change occurred to the ATC and my MBP acknowledging the "new" BSSID.

So far I have not seen any "no keyboard or trackpad" along with a USB low power error message, when I wake it up from sleep at home. I have force it to use only the ATC router and not the HughesNet router. I will let you know if this changes. It would be nice to figure out that the problem is with the HughesNet router. We shall see.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Lisa, if the speeds of the two routers are the same (you'd have to check the specs), you might consider putting the HughesNet router in "bridge" mode and let the ATC handle *all* the connections. If you do that, the HughesNet router will be just a modem to their network and the ATC will be your home network router. When I got my Netgear Orbi system for a mesh network to cover my home better, that's what I did. I had to call my provider to put their router in bridge mode, so it doesn't do any server functions and my Orbi system is the only router.

Or you can leave them as you have it if you are happy. But you'll have to be a bit careful because some functions don't cross the boundaries between two LANs. I can't right now remember what issues that brings up, but the two LANs are different domains, and some things don't work across domain boundaries.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The way I have it set up is a bit unconventional but since it is my network and it is only my husband and I, it will work. I have both handing out IP addresses in the same subnet and IP address but each had a different range to use. I can print from either router and access the internet so all is good. I suspect the ATC is the faster router.

We don't have a domain setup. I think you mean subnet and IP class. I am using 192.168.42.xxx for the IP address range. Subnet is 255.255.255.0. The ATC looks to the HughesNet router for the internet gateway. The HughesNet router has the WAN settings. I gave each router it's own SSD name so I can identify it when I look at my WiFi settings.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always heard that having two DHCP routers sharing one subnet is a risk. It's good you gave them separate ranges to issue, and the different names is also a good idea. As long as all the devices play nicely in that environment, you're good. I'm frankly surprised the printer works in those two but I guess the two routers cooperate enough to make it work. I have always avoided having two DHCP routers, which means one has to be in bridge mode. The Orbis are fast, so I put the Xfinity router in bridge, it just sends the traffic to the Orbi central WiFi, then it communicates with the two satellites in different areas of the house to create the mesh. The Xfinity doesn't broadcast anything, so it's totally invisible to the world (including me). Basically, it's just a modem for the cable company at this point. Also, right now I have 29 devices in the router table, including Macs, TVs, DVD players, AppleTVs, iPhones, iPads, printers and the three Orbis in the mesh network. Not sure how I got to that much, but I guess that's 2020.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree bridge mode on one and DHCP on the other is best. All my ATC's at work are setup in bridge mode and the two servers handle DHCP. I am just experimenting to see if it will fix the issue I am having with WiFi and lock ups. If this works I will leave it as I can't put the HughesNet Router into bridge mode. It is not an option.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't put the Xfinity router into bridge mode either, I had to get them to do it. It just took a call to tech support. The guy I got was knowledgable of what I wanted and did it in about 5 minutes or less.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if I decide to let the ATC handle the "load" - ha, ha. I will give them a call.

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

So I tested on another wifi network today and my Mac worked perfectly well. Speedy boot, speedy load of apps, no problem whatsoever with the keyboard and trackpad.

However ... since 2 days now, even my network at home does not cause any issue at all. I am at loss, no idea what is happening. I did a screenshot of all wifi networks detected by my Mac (there are quite a few as I am surrounded by other apartments), and will do a comparison if my problem shows up again. I'll update this forum if anything changes.

Jacques

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, keep us updated. So far my issues at home have also quit since I only let it use the ATC. Interesting and frustrating stuff!

Lisa

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick update: all is well here. Again, no idea why as I did not change anything... but my Mac got back on its feet. I checked the wi-fi logs and still see plenty of :

Fri Sep 25 09:15:29.978 <airportd[278]> ERROR: sharingd (571) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request
Fri Sep 25 09:15:29.978 <airportd[278]> ERROR: rapportd (437) is not entitled for com.apple.wifi.join_history, will not allow request

So I guess it is not related to the issues I had. Not sure if that is a good sign or not (looks like an erratic behaviour). Anyway, as said I will make sure to check the wi-fi networks my Mac detects if it slows down again.

Jacques

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a new update out that sort of reads like it might address this issue. OS 10.15.7 hopefully will fix all these weird connection issues. I won't be able to do the update until tomorrow as my home internet would take until tomorrow to download the 2.6+ GB download - Yikes! So I will be at work tomorrow and I will update it then. Fingers crossed!!!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.