2016 13in MacBook Pro Screen Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
My MacBook Pro: 2016 13-inch,Two TB 3 Ports, 2 GHz Dual Core I5, 8 GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536MB
Lately when awakening from an overnight sleep my screen has been displaying (image attached) multiple multi color vertical lines on the screen with a small square in the upper left hand corner. This has happened four times in the past 2 months. The screen will stay this way for about 15-20 seconds before reverting to the log in screen.
I usually close all programs and shut it down completely about once or twice a week and restart again when needed with no issues. All other times I just close all programs and put it to sleep at night with the lid closed until I need it again sometime the following day. I bought this laptop blemish free from Experimac in Jan/2018 for $800 (great deal/great condition) and has been great although the "N" key has issues now.
All in all it has served its purpose very very well.
So...is this screen issue a precursor of bad things to come. Are there things I can check or do? IMG_1287.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought this laptop blemish free from Experimac in Jan/2018 for $800 (great deal/great condition) and has been great although the "N" key has issues now.

That was an exceptional deal because that machine in Jan 2018 was worth a lot more. That leads me to believe that it may not be as "blemish free" as you thought when you purchased it.

Anyway, your MacBook Pro has the butterfly keyboard that Apple has since abandoned due to all the problems they have had with them.

As for the screen glitches, it's hard to say. Try the start up in safe mode as Bob has suggested and let us know the result.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) 8GB
Started in safe mode a while back and no issues found or duplicated. The screen image, as posted, only happens when I lift the top open after being in sleep mode for an extended period. Has happened 4 times in the last two months and there is no rhyme or reason as to when or if it will happen again. The screen has multi vertical lines and than goes to the log in screen after a few seconds or if I hit a key. It usually goes away so quickly enough that this is the first time I was able to take a picture of the screen. Could this be the beginning of a possible GPU failure. This issue started about four months ago.
Other than the known keyboard issue ( N key & F12/volume key sticking) the machine runs fast, boots quickly and still looks brand new. So far, money well spent as I got two plus years service out of this purchase.
Any other thoughts ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds more like a loose video cable or connection. That happens more often with notebook computers because of the many opening and closing of the lid.

If you're okay with opening up the machine, you can check for a loose video cable or connection. Instructions are available at www.ifixit.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.