2015 15 MacBook Pro never wakes from safe sleep when battery is drained

Reaction score
This might be a strange question but here goes. When I use my Mac, it sometimes just cuts power when the battery is at high percentages like 90 percent. I've been able to solve this by calibrating the battery but now I have a new issue. When I get the battery to zero and plug in the charger, my Mac doesn't wake up like my other Macs where the moment I plug in the charger and log in, all my apps are still open and I can pick up right where I left off. However, this is no longer the case as when I plug in the charger, I am brought to an apple logo screen with a progress bar, indicating that it has restarted instead of resuming like it is supposed to. And all my apps have to reopen themselves compared to other Macs where I am able to resume where I left off. Does anybody know how to fix this. I have a suspicion that it is the battery as dismantling it shows that it is aftermarket and coconut battery reports no serial number. This is a Mac that I have had serviced recently.

yQ1IU2qQu6hGR1O4.full

alors

Reaction score
This might be a strange question but here goes. When I use my Mac, it sometimes just cuts power when the battery is at high percentages like 90 percent. I've been able to solve this by calibrating the battery but now I have a new issue. When I get the battery to zero and plug in the charger, my Mac doesn't wake up like my other Macs where the moment I plug in the charger and log in, all my apps are still open and I can pick up right where I left off. However, this is no longer the case as when I plug in the charger, I am brought to an apple logo screen with a progress bar, indicating that it has restarted instead of resuming like it is supposed to. And all my apps have to reopen themselves compared to other Macs where I am able to resume where I left off. Does anybody know how to fix this. I have a suspicion that it is the battery as dismantling it shows that it is aftermarket and coconut battery reports no serial number. This is a Mac that I have had serviced recently.

yQ1IU2qQu6hGR1O4.full
hi, you can try to check the energy setting in the system preferences, make sure your computer sleep bar is not on "never" in battery tab and also "put hard disk on sleep when possible" is enabled. make sure when you restart or shut down the option for "reopen windows when logging back in" is enabled, if nothing works maybe resetting your smc might work, best of luck
have a look here: Prevent apps and windows from reopening

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When I get the battery to zero and plug in the charger, my Mac doesn't wake up like my other Macs

Okay, this is not a solution, but practical advice. Never let any Lithium Battery get anywhere near zero. Twenty per cent at the lowest.

That could explain why it "doesn't wake up like your other Macs". It may also explain:

when I plug in the charger, I am brought to an apple logo screen with a progress bar, indicating that it has restarted instead of resuming like it is supposed to.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay, this is not a solution, but practical advice. Never let any Lithium Battery get anywhere near zero. Twenty per cent at the lowest.

That could explain why it "doesn't wake up like your other Macs". It may also explain:

Ian
I do understand that but on my other Macs, I was able to go down to zero percent and the computer was smart enough to hibernate so when I plug in the charger, it would resume right where it left off but it seems like this MacBook doesn't do that for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Zero battery = Off. No hibernate, just Off. As the battery gets down to 1-2%, a shutdown is executed to preserve your data, but then when power is restored and the battery gets sufficient charge it reboots. As Ian said, lithium batteries really do NOT do well with deep discharges. Ian mentioned 20%, I would argue to keep it in the 60-80% range as much as you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.