2013 MacBook - black screen

Reaction score
Have a 2013 Macbook 15" Retina that powers on and can hear the beep but nothing boots and after 15-20 seconds the fans are running at full speed. Back in 2018 the screen was replaced and about 6 months later this started happening. Bought a new laptop and didn't do anything with this one. Now would like to get it running as a backup to the iMac.

Can it be the logic board? Trying to boot to diagnostics doesn't work nor trying to boot via USB. What are the options to test?

Thanx

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the first suggestion would be to try a different display device eg. connect to a TV via HDMI cable. This will eliminate or verify the screen as the culprit.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think the first suggestion would be to try a different display device eg. connect to a TV via HDMI cable. This will eliminate or verify the screen as the culprit.
I did that as well by connecting it to the iMac

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
And I assume that’s means still no display? I’m not too sure about the settings for screen sharing between devices, not something I’ve needed to do, I would prefer to use a monitor or TV as an accessory to ensure a result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Have a 2013 Macbook 15" Retina that powers on and can hear the beep but nothing boots and after 15-20 seconds the fans are running at full speed. Back in 2018 the screen was replaced and about 6 months later this started happening. Bought a new laptop and didn't do anything with this one. Now would like to get it running as a backup to the iMac.

Can it be the logic board? Trying to boot to diagnostics doesn't work nor trying to boot via USB. What are the options to test?

Thanx
this sounds like the display has failed again.

does it have a discrete GPU ?

also try it in a dark room and see if there is any backlight on the display.

one more thing you could do is shine a bright torch at the screen and see if there is any image.

only certain iMac's can be used as an external screen.

so your best bet would be to connect it via HDMi to a tv and see if there is any display output.

the fans spinning at full speed could mean there is an issue and the logic board isn't communicating with the display.

OP
N
Reaction score
this sounds like the display has failed again.

does it have a discrete GPU ?

also try it in a dark room and see if there is any backlight on the display.

one more thing you could do is shine a bright torch at the screen and see if there is any image.

only certain iMac's can be used as an external screen.

so your best bet would be to connect it via HDMi to a tv and see if there is any display output.

the fans spinning at full speed could mean there is an issue and the logic board isn't communicating with the display.
Conecting to the TV or the iMac is still a black screen. I know it is sending a signal as it takes about 30 seconds before I see the black screen on the iMac or TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Ok as your getting a black screen it could be the logic board has failed.

try a pram reset if you can or an SMC reset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.