2011 Imac I5 2.5 21.5" 4GB, El Capitan memory upgrade

Reaction score
This may be a basic question, but I could not find anything specific already posted and I don't want to make a mistake and order the wrong memory.

I have a 2011 Imac I5 2.5 21.5" 4GB and have run El Capitan for about a month or so. I spend way too much time waiting on the spinning color wheel Icon these days as the disk clicks away (virtual memory access, I presume?)

From discussions on various forums, it appears that this Imac can accomodate 32GB of RAM although I believe it is spec'd to take 16GB. Strangely enough, even the new Imacs show that they are "expandable to 16GB" but apparently can indeed take 32GB.

What I really want is improved performance with general browsing, running photoshop at a simple level and a few other basic apps. The plan is memory upgrade from the existing 4GB.

I want to make sure I don't order the wrong DIMM. I'm finding this as the description of what I need:
204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module

Here is a link to a 16 GB kit. I'm thinking of ordering this x 2 for 32GB or perhaps another vendor. This is just an example.

So, I have two questions you could address.

1. Could 32GB improve performance? How about 16GB? I don't mind the overkill if 32GB could get me the best performance.
  2. Does "204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module" describe the DIMM I need for this machine?
  3. I can certainly shop around but if you have a preferred vendor for such memory, go ahead and make a suggestion.
  4. Why does Apple spec 16GB if these machines since 2011 and perhaps before can take 32GB. Seems counter to good product advertising.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers,

David

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to Everymac.com or OWC (macsales.com) to confirm the ram needed.

As far as 32gig of ram. This is more than most folks need. 16gig would probably be plenty.:)

Why does Apple spec 16GB if these machines since 2011 and perhaps before can take 32GB. Seems counter to good product advertising.

That's because you don't understand what's going on.;) Back in 2011 8gig ram modules were not available (only 4gig DIMMS)…which means 4 slots x 4gig = 16gig. When 8 DIMMS became available…folks tested them…and found they worked in 2011 iMac's. Thus 4 slots x 8gig = 32gig. This sort of thing has happened many times over the last 10 years with various model computers.

Consider it a bonus…absolutely nothing to do with "counter to good product advertising"!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Nick, thanks. That totally makes sense about the 4 vs 8 gig DIMMS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That totally makes sense about the 4 vs 8 gig DIMMS.

This sort of thing has happened a bunch of times since around 2006 (and maybe longer). If someone happens to own a computer model that's capable of installing more ram than Apple originally specified…its really a very nice bonus.:)…nothing underhanded on Apple's part.:)

There are a number of things that we can do with our Apple computers (years later) that Apple never originally specified (at the time of release). For example:

- Apple says (or said) that the storage in retina MacBook Pro's was not user upgradeable. But 3rd party vendors have developed solutions…and rMBP storage is upgradeable.
- Apple says that 2006 Mac Pro's cannot run a Mac OS newer than 10.7.5…but there are ways of dong it.
- Apple says that the battery in Unibody MacBook Pro's is not user replaceable. But it certainly is (just need two screw drivers & a replacement battery).
- And of course a bunch of models (years later) can have more ram installed than Apple originally specified.

* Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Certainly a bonus.

Why do you think the 2016 Imac specs only 16 GB? Haven't 8 GB DIMMs been around for at least a year?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do you think the 2016 Imac specs only 16 GB? Haven't 8 GB DIMMs been around for at least a year?

Technically there are no 2016 iMac's yet. What's being sold currently are 2015 models.

You didn't specify what iMac model you were referring to…but I'm going to assume you're talking about 21" models…since this model fits the question.

If you look carefully…the ram on 21" 2015 iMac's is soldered in. Which means someone purchasing one of these needs to decide at the time of purchase whether to get 8gig or 16gig of ram (ram not upgradeable after purchase).

Thus the question about 8gig DIMMS does not apply.

On the other hand. 2015 27" iMac's can have up to 64gig of ram (ram on 27" models is upgradeable).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mactracker tells us my iMac can handle 64GB, whereas Apple in their very conservative manner state 32GB.

Suggest if you go this way getting the 27" to get around this soldered memory limitations. I run 16GB nd it is plenty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.